Carter County

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by PumpStation, Oct 31, 2012.

1. PumpStation

PumpStation Fawn

Oct 27, 2011
    Campbell County
    Anyone familiar with Carter County Olive Hill area. I am working on rights to hunt around 200 acres close to the city of Olive Hill off 3298. Just curious on deer population and poachers. I know this property has been recently logged just looking for some insight to the area.

Thanks

2. kyboydbowhunter

kyboydbowhunter 8 pointer

Sep 21, 2011
    I live in Boyd if you are really lucky you could run into a 140 in that area. It would be like hitting the lottery shooting something over 150. But you should be able to run in to some nice shooters chasing soon no matter if it is logged or not. About poachers, what are you trying to find out?

3. kyboydbowhunter

kyboydbowhunter 8 pointer

Sep 21, 2011
    There is a good deer population there I used to see them dead all the time last year when I would drive to Lexington from Ashland 2 times a week.

4. rather-b-huntn

rather-b-huntn 10 pointer

Sorry, not familiar with that area. If its been logged recently then I definately wouldnt pay anything for it as a lease. Thats pretty close to town (looked on map) and I'de imagine it gets some traffic and those roadside fields seem to be a poachers favorite. Lazy people. It sounds like you may suspect poaching??? Are you from nearby?

5. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Got family in Olive Hill. Used to lease timber property. Lots of tresspassers and ATVs. Decent amoubr of poaching to deal with. Part of the culture, sadly.

6. rather-b-huntn

rather-b-huntn 10 pointer

I'm afraid I have to agree. It doesnt seem as bad since they brought on the no shine law but thats just one kinda poacher. The ones that do the most damage are the ones with high-powered muzzleloaders and bows. I will say it has gotten better around here but still happens alot.

7. KY-WYWaterfowler

KY-WYWaterfowler 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Olive Hill, KY
    I live in Olive Hill, hunt around here quite a bit. It's all about the amount of pressure in the surrounding area and the neighbors to the land you're talking about. If you have found a spot that is kinda of tucked away or for some reason not hunted much then there is a very good chance for some nice bucks. There are big deer around, just takes a lot of scouting and luck to find them. Plenty of 110-120 inch bucks, if there is not much hunting pressure.

8. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

I lived there for years. Hunted it for years and still make four or five weekend trips and one week long trip to hunt up there. Tons of deer. Yea poachers are there, but they are everywhere you go this day in time. As for your lease, your judgement call is what will determine it. There are plenty of deer and a lot of GOOD bucks there.

9. PumpStation

PumpStation Fawn

Oct 27, 2011
    Campbell County
    Late response sorry.
    No its a friend of a friends families property (lol). We are planning a trip around Nov 17th to head down. Probably be a spot and stalk kinda hunt get me some exercise and a chance to use the new 30-30 contender with a red dot. Should be a quiet area as long as the neighbors have stayed out.... doubtful. Thanks for the heads up though guys.

10. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    Lived there for a few years, hunted there for many years until the state finaly bought the farm. Poaching is problematic there as anywhere.......many good bucks running that area, by the time you get there on the 17th the bucks will be run ragged.

How bad was the place logged out?