Burying Skull for European Mount?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BarrenBuck, Nov 28, 2012.

1. BarrenBuck

BarrenBuck Fawn

Nov 12, 2012
    Has anybody ever buried a skull in order to do a european mount? If so, what all do you need to do in the process and how well does it work?

2. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    I've never done a deer, but have done many longhorn skulls. I strip the hide now, take off all the tissue I can, and hang from a low limb with wire. Make sure it's high enough a dog can't get to it, and low enough a squirrel want chew the rack. I have only done them in the summer when maggots are out and about. I bleach the skull when it's done curing, and spray with a rattle can of clear varnish.

3. triumpster

triumpster 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2011
  4. KYHeadHunter02

KYHeadHunter02 8 pointer

Oct 9, 2008
    20+ ft up
    I've burried one...it takes a while, especially right now with the cold weather. I would say it will be spring before you see any results. Also the Sun will beach the antlers if u don't cover them with with a bag or something. Turkey cooker is the quickest method.

5. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Its simple to just simmer it in very hot water. Then you can use a high pressure sprayer to clean it up if you want. Just turn the throttle down and don't hit it too hard. It will be spotless and you will be done in no time. I have access to hot condensate from a large boiler and it will have it ready in about 4 hours.

6. ITLXLR8

ITLXLR8 Spike

Nov 15, 2011
    I skinned this one out, then buried it in the flowerbed in November. Dug it up next April, and just had to rinse off the dirt. Had a plastic tub over the antlers.

[​IMG]

7. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    Taylorsville
    You lost a lot of the nose, that part is very fragile. Like Wildman said "Simmer" not boil and it's easy. Also NEVER bleach only use commercial peroxide.

[​IMG]

8. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Hey guys, my husband has a euro mount that is just nasty looking, all yellow/gray instead of nice & white. He "did it himself" and it just never whitened up. Is there any way to whiten it? Someone said bleach? Someone else said peroxide? Would either one work on a 4 or 5 year old skull?

9. slimshad

slimshad 8 pointer

Oct 29, 2008
    USA
    I have several that I've buried. When you dig them up, be careful and you can get the nose pieces. They just pull out. Clean it up good with soap and water and let dry. Then I put garbage bags over each antler, taping around the bases. Get some pure white or pearl spray paint and paint the the whole scull. Inside and out. I think it looks awesome! I have 5 and one in the ground now. I dont have a close up but will post a picture on here today. By the way It takes an hour to do this and $4 for paint. I dont skin the head or ever cut off the ears. The bugs take care of everything. I have used a big tin tub with a block on top and a recycle bin.. I call this my 2.5 year old wall. I have an itchy fingure when the season winds down and my bow gets too cold to hold. lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  10. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Lady Hunter,
    Start out by cleaning with paper towels and spray cleaner. Get some good strong commercial grade peroxide from a hair dresser. Apply peroxide and it will bleach it white. Be careful and use Latex gloves.

11. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Thanks! I may try to do this the next time he's out of town for a day or two. Hopefully before Christmas... He was complaining about the color of it the other night....

12. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    that has to be a booner Jack-a-lope on your wall. come off a high fence ranch? :)

13. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    The main reason its yellow/gray is because of the grease in the skull. Some animals are more greasy than others. Deer aren't too bad but still have enough to change the color. After cleaning you need to soak them in warm water with some clear Dawn detergent for a day or two or white gas will also work, just be careful and not get near a flame. Then used the 40% peroxide and Basic White mixture.

It may be hard to get the grease out now that its set up but it's worth a try.

14. slimshad

slimshad 8 pointer

Oct 29, 2008
    USA
    Jack-a-lope was gross but not net boone. He had 2" of ear deductions. He came from Otisco IN. A well known Lope destination. Thanks for noticing anyway..

15. rather-b-huntn

rather-b-huntn 10 pointer

U can use bleach, just dilute with water. 1:10 mix seems about right. Makes it bright white and doesnt harm the bone at all.

16. ITLXLR8

ITLXLR8 Spike

Nov 15, 2011

That, unfortunately, was due to a very stupid (now dead) cat that knocked it off the bench onto the concrete floor. It looked great before that happened.

17. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

How do you get the brain out??

18. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    Taylorsville
    I take a coat hanger and bend the end to a little hook and just scramble them, then shake them out.

19. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Why would you want to? Bleach can eat at the bones for years. Why not just use the peroxide and do it the right way?

20. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    Taylorsville
    I thought the same thing, guess some people gotta learn the hard way.