Breach plug STUCK!!!

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by IDHunter, Mar 17, 2010.

1. IDHunter

IDHunter Fawn

Feb 20, 2010
    I am having a heck of a time removing a stuck breach plug, it is in a CVA in line any tips or tricks??? HELP!!!

I have used WD 40, brake loose, liquid wrench, and even SAE oil to try and unbind this thing?!

Had the gun given to me if I could free it I could have it!

2. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Take the barrel off. bring a pot of water to almost boiling. prop the breach end in the water and wait about 20 min's. It should come right out..

3. PB blaster and AT fluid 50/50 mix and let it set. Ive freed two engines this way so maybe it will bust a breech plug.

4. IDHunter

IDHunter Fawn

Feb 20, 2010
    I have stripped the breach extractor!!! Still not coming out!!!

I have not tried the boiling water trick yet. I will see if it works!

5. IDHunter

IDHunter Fawn

Feb 20, 2010
    I stripped the breach extractor!!! I forgot to mention that in the original post.

I have not tried the boiling water trick yet!

6. kyfuzzyface

kyfuzzyface 8 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Central Ky
    Water Water Water

Do not try to turn it by hand
    Get a good wrench on it and Hit the wrench with a hammer lighty

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  7. GunCat

GunCat 8 pointer

Jan 26, 2006
    Fairview, KY
    STOP - Get a new extractor. The more damage you do to the slot in that breech plug the tougher it will be to remove.

When there is enough damage to the breech plug (or rust in the threads) you may end up having to have the part drilled out like a broken off bolt. When you reach the point of spending money to fix the problem its time time to look at the condition of the barrel. Is the rifling rusted and pitted as well? Are you throwing good money after bad?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  8. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    take it to a gunsmith before you do any more damage to it.

9. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    ID Hunter,
    My brother in law had the same problem with his CVA Wolf. I agree with some of the previous posts. I do think you can free it yourself with the soaking process with water or solvents. Lightly tapping the extractor tool with a hammer as Fuzzyface said will act as an "impact wrench" effect for lack of better terms. I've had success with that method before.

Caution! Not sure what model you have but my brother in law's Wolf had a breech plug that allowed him to use a ratchet and socket. He didn't soak his prior to trying to free it. He placed his in a vice, holding it by the tang on the bottom of the barrel. He was able to get a lot of leverage by doing so. When he put the hurt on that ratchet, he broke the weld that held the tang to the barrel. Yeah, broke the weld! Total waste at that point. Soak it well for a long time before applying any torque with any tool of any kind. It will come out :)

10. Algenco

Algenco 8 pointer

Jan 15, 2006
    Nancy
    go to Napa and get a can of Free All, best stuff made

11. piebald buster

piebald buster 8 pointer

Nov 9, 2006
    Glasgow Ky.
    Insuring that it IS un-loaded. As a last resort, try heating the breech plug area with a hand held propane torch until good and hot and then try removing with an extractor or socket. Worked for me in the past.

12. KyBucks10

KyBucks10 12 pointer

Dec 5, 2008
    Burgin, Kentucky
    would using an impact drill gun be a bad idea? im not being smart, im really curious...i have a hitatchi impact drill and i love that thing. it is extremely easy to break loose even the tightest bolts. works wonders on lugs nuts!

13. Coca-Cola, pour some around the nipple

14. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
  15. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman 6 pointer

Dec 20, 2003
    Caneyville, Ky, USA.
    Actually it's not as bad as it sounds. It is a method used all the time for restoring fine parts that have suffered damage do to rust and is the least destructive way to remove rust. You can take a nut and bolt that has been buried in the ground for 20 years and has rusted so bad that you'd never get it loose with any other method, put it through electrolosis and the rust just dissolves away leaving the nut and bolt usable again. Just trying to help.

16. Double B

Double B 6 pointer

Jan 6, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Soak it in PB Blaster, be patient and pray it comes loose.

17. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    well. can we have an update?

18. Carl

Carl 10 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    KY
    What CanisMajor said

Kroil is the best stuff I have ever use.