Bowhunting regulations

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by missedagain, Sep 27, 2008.

1. missedagain

missedagain Fawn

Oct 18, 2004
    MADISONVILLE, KY
    ok, I am new at bowhunting. I have a question about regulations of bows. I am taking my son hunting and "someone" told us his bow had to be set at 45 lbs pull or greater to be legal. Can anyone tell me if this is true or if there is a minimum set by law.
    ALSO.....any other bowhunting tips would be appreciated!

2. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    according to the guide there is no restrictions on poundage
    the broadhead must be at least a 7/8"wide

i also noticed that it states that a hunter CAN NOT possess a barbed Bh
    i have seen a few of them that were made for turkeys so a fellow according to the guide cant carry a turkey BH unless its the same as what you would use for deer..

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  3. Davidlondon4

Davidlondon4 10 pointer

Dec 2, 2004
    Laurel County
    Ky regulations have no set minimum poundage for deer hunting.However I would highly recommend that the minimum poundage that he use be no less than 40 pounds at his draw length.At that poundage he should probably limit his shots at deer to 15 yards or less and be extremely accurate.Accuracy is more important than poundage as deer are thin skinned.I would also recommend a heavy arrow--10 to 12 grains per pound of bow weight that he is shooting.I shoot traditional equipment (recurves,flatbows,etc.)and on one of my bows I am shooting about 45 pounds and my arrows with broadhead are about 503 grains total weight.
    If he is shooting a compound there are lots of people on here that are much more knowledgable than I. You may also find some good information on the Ky. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife website.Best of luck.

4. missedagain

missedagain Fawn

Oct 18, 2004
    MADISONVILLE, KY
    can you tell me where to find the information in the guide or KFW website statin g there is no limitation?

5. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Copied from their web site...

ARCHERY EQUIPMENT RESTRICTIONS

Legal
    Hunters may use the following:
    • Longbows, recurves and compound bows
    • Broadheads at least 7/8” wide
    •Any draw weight (no minimum)

6. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    There use to be restrictions several years ago but none now as far as poundage.

7. SmokeyBear

SmokeyBear 8 pointer

I just got the Fall 2008 issue of Kentucky Afield Magazine yesterday and one of the "Woods and Water Law Quiz" questions in the magazine was this question:

"Is there a minimum draw weight on compound bows used for archery deer hunting?"

Answer: "No. Hunters may use bows of any draw weight to take deer."

Like someone else has already stated, there use to be a draw weight minimum restriction and I think it was 45 pounds, but there no longer is a minimum.

8. Pull My Finger

Pull My Finger 6 pointer

Apr 13, 2008
    Versailles
    seems like i've seen somewhere, fort Knox and bluegrass army depot do have minimum poundage requirements. Could be wrong. Maybe this is where his info is coming from??

9. bullittcounty

bullittcounty 8 pointer

Aug 23, 2005
    bullitt county
    I have seen many hunting shows where children and smaller woman have hunting with 37 pound draws and the arrow have blasted all the way through the deer. With todays bow technology, draw wieght is not as much a concern. So I would have to say, it depends on the bow you are using.