BobWhite shoot-to-train season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Birdman, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Gentlemen, after 10 month of waiting we now have a legal means of traing our dogs with out having to buy a license of go to a shooting preserve. Below is a link that will make this as clear as mud.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  2. agr_hunter

agr_hunter 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Over the Hill
  3. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    lol, "clarified" the heck out of that one

4. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I thought you could posess up to 50 for training without a permit anyhow??

5. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    That's what most hunters thought. You could set birds and work your dog on quail but you could not shoot the bird with out having a dog training area permit. A dog training area before this change consisted of not less that ten acres and not more than 75 acres. With (A dog training area permit ($50.00) is required to designate an area to allow dog training and shooting of captive-reared bobwhite quail year round. The dog training area must be a mowed area of at least 10 acres, and no greater than 75 acres, with less than 10% in grain or food plots.The boundary of a dog training area shall be marked with signs:
    a. At least 8 in. x 12 in.;
    b. Have a white background with contrasting letters at least one (1) inch high;
    c. State "Dog Training Area"; and
    d. Placed not more than 150 feet apart.

6. Rock Pile Farm

Rock Pile Farm Fawn

Jul 28, 2012
    The way I read it is a hunting license is still required plus some application to submit for approval.
    But now I can shoot quail on private lands all but 3 months of the year (May 15-August 15 are the only months I can't shoot if I have this permit).
    August 15-October 31: Shoot to train permit
    November 1-January 31: Quail Season
    February 1-May 14: Shoot to train permit

7. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Correct, but now you do not have to have a Dog Training Permit to train your dog.

8. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
  9. Rock Pile Farm

Rock Pile Farm Fawn

Jul 28, 2012
    I don't know how I ever trained my bird dog before by using pigeons, chukars, and pheasants.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  10. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    That chukar and pheasant dog work gets pretty expensive.

So I guess you can keep 100 birds now? And more for less than ten days?

11. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    I guess there scared your going to kill one of the abundant quail that might wonder into your training area . Thats laughable.... Im certainly glad they got that mess straightened out before we lost the whole population . :)

12. spotterky

spotterky 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2004
    Please make sure you read this regulation closely. It is meant to prohibit the use of pen raised quail, period. First, how do we train a pointing dog is a mown field? Grass is required to plant and hold birds. Second, the area must be marked by a licensed surveyor. This would cost thosands of dollars. Third, all birds must have leg bands. If you have ever had to put leg bands on before you know the stress it causes the birds and the time it takes to do it are prohibitive. Finally, pen raised quail cannot be used at all in the summertime, which is when most of us work our dogs to get them ready for the fall season. This regulation is scary and impossible for the average dog man to train his dogs using captive quail. Also, I know this reg was proposed but I do not see if it was ever passed by the commission. If it isnt law yet there is still a chance to stop it.

13. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    I thought LKS had moved some legislation forth that would have cleared most of this business up? That is what I have been hearing at out QF meetings.

14. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    You can still use pigeons, chukars and pheasants, nothing was changed with those birds. You can also get a dog training permit ($50.00) and train year round, nothing was changed. Also nothing was changed with the game preserve permits. The only change is, a new season was created (Bobwhite shoot- to - train season) you can hold 100 birds (changed from 50) to train your dog on private land from Aug. 15th until May 15th with out doing anything to the property or buying a permit. You simply have to fill out an application to let the department know what counties you'll be working your dog(good for one year/ with no charge). You also have to tag your birds that you'll be useing during each segment (each day you train) you're training. I hope this will help clear this matter up, if not send me a PM or call.

Now grant you, what is posted on the departments site is confusing, I feel sure once the smoke clears just the new law will be posted and anyone can tell what's going on.

15. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    This is really cool. Anybody have an idea of what bands to get or where from?

16. Rock Pile Farm

Rock Pile Farm Fawn

Jul 28, 2012
    I'll stick with mostly pigeons, chuckars, and a few pheasants thrown in for fun. With declining population numbers I am not comfortable running the risk of shooting a wild bobwhite on my farm. When will I be able to get permit for a rabbit shoot to train season cuz I love my beagle too.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  17. spotterky

spotterky 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2004
    the regs are extremely confusing for sure. But my reading indicates that any area, be it for dog training or what not, must be mapped by a surveyor. Let me know if I am wrong.

18. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

I've got a suggestion ... What say we just ignore this new reg, just like we have the old one for years?

19. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Your wrong.