Black Bear in Centeral KY??

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by 9-pointer, Jun 15, 2003.

1. 9-pointer

9-pointer Fawn

Dec 11, 2001
    jamestown, ky, USA.
    I live in Russell Co. and had a couple of people tell me that their have been sighting of black bear. One person found a foot print on one of the spot that I deer hunt and called the Department of Wildlife and they took a plaster cast of the print. Has anyone form the Department of Wildlife have any information about this?

2. Finn209

Finn209 Cyber-Hunter

Mar 13, 2003
    Lewisburg, KY. USA
    I haven't heard anything. But your wildlife biologist should know. You can reach him with the info below.

Southeast Region

Counties: Adair, Casey, Clinton, Cumberland, Green, Russell, Taylor, Wayne

Chris Mason

120 Gaines Drive

Campbellsville, KY 42718

WK: 270/465-2839

FAX: 270/465-3575

cmason@kih.net

[​IMG]

3. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    I know there is a black bear that lives near Berea in Madison Co. It's been there a couple years now. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if you don't have them in Russell Co. as well.

4. MRDUKS

MRDUKS 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2003
    MIDDLEBURG, KY, USA.
    My hunting buddy lives about 4 miles from the Russell Co. line in
    Casey, his neighbor asked him to come down and verify some tracks
    in his barn, something was ripping open feed sacks and he thought
    there was bear tracks there. My buddy also thought they was bear
    tracks. 2 weeks later someone reported spotting one cross the road
    about a mile away nothing else since then.

5. mossyhorns

mossyhorns Cyber-Hunter

Dec 10, 2001
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    That would make a good book, Strutter: "The Bruins Of Madison County."

6. Rob

Rob Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    Murray, KY, USA.
    Kenny,

You missed your calling - you should have been in comedy, or politics. Some times it's hard to tell the difference...

It's hard to dance with the devil on your back...

7. rlb165

rlb165 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Good one, Mossy!![:D][:D]

8. MRDUKS

MRDUKS 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2003
    MIDDLEBURG, KY, USA.
    Hey 9-pointer pick up a Casey Co news this week it has a picture of a bear photographed in Casey. Fish and Wildlife Officer Roger Weddle
    was quoted as saying he has received reports of bear in southern and
    eastern Casey, he has had four sightings reported this month. Weddle also said bears have been present for some time and the population is increasing.

9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Heck I got two black bears (tho neither one is black.. one blond and one chocolate ) here in Muhlenberg county...one stands beside my fireplace the other is on the wall above my kitchen cabinets..... sorry couldn't resist LOL.... Thats great to hear, bears making a comeback. Should make some deer hunters think when walking to thier stands in the dark...LOL.

10. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    HUM

Another good reason not to get in the woods while it's still dark.

Is there anyway to find out what counties are considered to have resident bears.

Lets see Casey, Russell, Madison, Probably also Cumberland Clinton Wayne Pulaski, Rockcastle,

11. Hunter

Hunter 6 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Corbin
    got a friend who works for a park up in harlan co. he says that they have been trapping some bears up there, and moving them around. to other counties in the state. moved like 8 of them last year i belive and then some this year also.

12. Finn209

Finn209 Cyber-Hunter

Mar 13, 2003
    Lewisburg, KY. USA
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hunter</i>
    <br />got a friend who works for a park up in harlan co. he says that they have been trapping some bears up there, and moving them around. to other counties in the state. moved like 8 of them last year i belive and then some this year also.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I doubt they are moving any bears. There would be about five bus loads of mad mothers at the main office door steps on the next day..........all from the "receiving" area.

[​IMG]

13. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

There was a "bear stocking" in Big South Fork a few years back.
    F&W has been trapping and relocating some "nuisance" bears.

Also, all the "ol' timers" around Mammoth Cave Park will tell you that "thah guvermunt people turned honey bears lose on the park" and "there is panthers on the park that got lose from a travelin' circus".[:)]

14. Larry Carter

Larry Carter 8 pointer

Mar 2, 2003
    Crab Orchard, Ky, USA.
    I had a bear here in Lincoln county. Haven't seen him or any sign lately. Friend in Marion county would see a female with cubs frequently.Several killed by cars in Bell and Harlan county over the past few years.

15. RTC

RTC 6 pointer

Dec 31, 2002
    yep.....were jest cuntry folks down here round dat thare Park

16. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    Lions, and Panthers, and Bears

Oh my

17. ez

ez 8 pointer

unicorn??

18. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    I have a cousin in Whitley County, who was "forced out" of the bee-keeping business by the bears there. BTW, it's not a "tall tale" there have been bears here for awhile; four years ago or so, when I took my kids to hunter education, we were told by the instructors they were many bears, and you'd best not shoot them either...even went so far as to say, "if you have to shoot one, you'd better have proof of your life being in immediate danger"..

Also I read somewhere recently where they are putting radio tracking devices on the bears on Pine Mountain, to better keep track of them, seems we have quite a few moving in from the Virginia area , or that's what they said in the article.

Aceoky

Reloaders Haul Brass!

19. Pooge

Pooge Cyber-Hunter

Oct 7, 2002
    Louisville, KY, USA.
    You have a better chance of getting hit by a boat walking to your mailbox than getting mauled by a bear in KY.

- There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not...

20. Pooge

Pooge Cyber-Hunter

Oct 7, 2002
    Louisville, KY, USA.
    Its those darn Jackalopes you have to worry about....

- There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not...