Bill Winke Quote...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by tyshe17, Mar 16, 2013.

1. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    This is taken directly from a blog post following this past season. I don't have tons of years experience paying attention to such things (about 5 years at most that I have focused on bigger bucks and not just killing deer) but consistently getting rut action has been frustrating the last couple years. This year my buddies and I joked about putting the rut on a milk carton around the start of gun season...it seemed like it never really took off with the exception of one hunt I had Nov. 5th. Anyways, here is the quote:

"Not exactly sure why, but I am having a harder time predicting the best days of the rut than I have ever had in the past. I used to be able to count on November 3-10 as being good nearly every year. Recently, it has not been so easy. This past season, late October was really good, better than November here. I will keep tabs on this, but I doubt I will be offering any sure-fire advice on when to hunt like I have in the past."

Thoughts?

2. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

3. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Host of Midwest Whitetail.

4. AustinKY

AustinKY Spike

Jul 7, 2012
    My thoughts; The rut and everything about it is actually our perception of the rut. This perception is created from a variety of factors that are unique to every persons hunting situation. For me in the past there have been times when it seemed like the rut wasn't very intense, but when I thought about certain factors I realized that there were a lot of reasons for that. I also think being in the right spot at the right time, luck, is a big part of this equation considering deer patterns are unpredictable during the rut. Also I think it's one of those situations where most of us hear the experiences that mimic ours....ex; if we start to think we are having a weak rut, then we unconsciously read posts and pay attention to other hunters who say the same thing.

This year I was able to tag along on 3 different hunts back to back and the rut results were interesting. First I was in Missouri the last week of October. The seeking had kicked in hard by the 2.5 -3.5 yr olds the last 2 days of October. Then I went to Minnesota and we saw almost no deer and very little rut activity. Next I came back to Kentucky and saw next to nothing...deer or rut activity. The point is, there were so many factors affecting each situation. Minnesota was complete wilderness and the deer densities are low. Back here in Kentucky I saw very little, but on the same property another hunter saw a lot of action all morning and killed a buck within hours. Missouri I happened to be in the right spot at the right time which made the rut look like it was kicking in hard core.

But back to your original post about what Bill Winke says, I would guess he is not familiar with the science behind the timing of the whitetail rut, which would add to the confusion on top of all the other factors (weather, buck-doe ratios, over pressured deer, LUCK, etc).

Anyways, just my 2 cents

5. elkguy

elkguy 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2004
  6. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I predict if you have too many does, you aren't going to see much of a rut... It will happen... mostly at night.. Get the buck to doe ratio close to 1:1 and then it's on!

The problems occur when people limit opportunities intending to "grow big bucks", then don't harvest enough does.

7. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    The midwest whitetail site is one of the best. I love the daily video blog during the season. I don't think there is anyone that is better at growing and killing big bucks than Bill.

8. Southpaw

Southpaw 10 pointer

Oct 2, 2005
    Northern Ky
    Steve Snow,Lee Lakosky an Don Kisky. I thought of three off top of my head. Ive been around Mr Winke quite a few times . Personally dont care for him. Very very arrogant.

9. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    Ive heardyou saw this before Joe. I tend to agree.

However...one of my main property I hunt in Jefferson county is 160 acres. We killed 8 does before November. Killed 13 total by the end of the season. Did see good rutting activity nov. 5. Rest of it was slow.

In NW Indiana on the club I'm in there are 6-7deer hunters. Very few kill any does. I see tons of deer. Like 50% of the days I've hunted I've seen over 20 deer. Saw some great rut activity this year. Heard could be balanced and just a high density. I'm not sure.

Last 2 years have been weird IMO. However, the weather has been strange leading up to gun season and the first week too(time I think of as the best 2 weeks of the year).

10. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    I enjoy it too. Really enjoying the stand break down portions he is currently doing.

11. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    That's why they make chocolate, strawberry and vanilla;)

12. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Lee definitely knows where to find big racks. :rolleyes:

13. colvin

colvin 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2010
    I watch Midwest Whitetail and Growing Deer TV every week. They are entertaining and informative. In my opinion, Bill comes across as fairly humble on the show.

14. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    I love their show and their format. Very informative show and website.

15. Southpaw

Southpaw 10 pointer

Oct 2, 2005
    Northern Ky
    I agree an does seem like a great family man. No prob with having an idol. ;)

16. B Hicks

B Hicks 12 pointer

Sep 29, 2006
    Lancaster, KY
    A buddy of mine hunted near Bill's place in Iowa this past season. He shot a really nice buck, and it was during the last week of October cruising..

17. Southpaw

Southpaw 10 pointer

Oct 2, 2005
    Northern Ky
    My favorite week a lil before or after Halloween. The area around Albia is fantastic. Im sitting on 2 points.

18. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    That's old man Winke's boy.

19. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    lol.......

20. Justsaying

Justsaying 8 pointer

Jun 22, 2012
    NOYB
    Just because you don't see it happening doesn't mean it's not. I sat a stand one morning last season and saw over 20 deer and half were bucks. All kinds of rutting activity. Nodging, shadowing, chasing. It was a heck of a morning hunt. Hunted the same farm and on a stand about 400 yards away the very next morning and didn't see a deer. Go figure. If a weather man with all his gear and education can't predict the weather day to day how do you expect to predict the rut month to month, year to year, county to county, state to state? It sells magazines, videos, and deer calls. Justsaying.