Big Red - Todd County's Legendary Deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by GunCat, Sep 28, 2006.

1. GunCat

GunCat 8 pointer

Jan 26, 2006
    Fairview, KY
    Being a native of Todd County I'd heard the story of this trophy buck for years. A few years back the Shell Shop in Hopkinsville acquired a repro mount of the deer. A few days ago they got a picture of the real thing. I thought yall might like to hear the story and see the picture. (Pictures below the story)

THE STORY (from http://www.huntstats.com/whitetail.deer.records.html)

1964 was Kentucky's first deer hunting season in 40 years and the season was only one day long. C. W. Shelton was going to make the most of this one day hunting season, even though it was raining and miserable. About mid afternoon C.W. climbed up into a big old tree to watch a well used game trail. It wasn't long before the buck named 'Big Red' was trotting down that same game trail and stopped in an opening only 50 yards away. C. W. pulled up his .44 magnum rifle and got off 4 shots as the buck turned to flee. The huge buck was hit hard and was struggling through the trees and brush with C. W. in hot pursuit firing many more shots as he went. As the huge buck struggled to get up the last time, C. W. fired two more shots for a grand total of 14 rounds. He finally had to finish the job with his knife. Big Red field dressed at 260 pounds and his antlers had an incredible outside spread of 34 4/8 inches. The gross score of this very wide rack is 201 3/8.

Hunter: C.W. Shelton
    Harvested: 1964
    No. of Points: 16
    Score: 185 2/8 Non-Typical

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drew

drew 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2003
    Graves County
    That's alot of shots! Interesting........

3. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    Henderson, Ky
    Nice deer!......

4. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    If I had only one day to hunt ,I would be slinging lead to, when that monster came by. I think he got a bad case of big buck fever !!!!!!

5. sirgiovanni

sirgiovanni 8 pointer

Mar 11, 2004
    Evansville, IN, USA.
    His camo pattern is what landed that monster. :D

6. Shelbyhunter

Shelbyhunter 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2002
    La Grange, KY.
    Looks very similar to the "Heart Attack" buck in the Drury videos.

7. CM12

CM12 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2004
    Knott Co.
    Why he's called Big Red

Here's the story behind his name:

1964 was Kentucky's first deer hunting season in 40 years and the season was only one day long. C. W. Shelton was going to make the most of this one day hunting season, even though it was raining and miserable. About mid afternoon C.W. hiked out to an area he had scouted earlier. Upon arriving he carefully scanned the nearby woods to make sure no-one was watching him. Then he slid his hand into the pocket of his checked blazer and pulled out one of his wife's used tampon. Holding his nose with one hand and the tampon in the other he hung the scralet wafer onto a low hanging limb. C.W. then climbed up into a big old tree to watch a well used game trail. It wasn't long before the buck to be named 'Big Red' was trotting down that same game trail with his nose in the air. The buck was so focused on C.W.'s wife's thingie that he didnt' see C.W. in his LL bean blazer. The buck walked right up to the tampon and stopped to scent check it in an opening only 50 yards away. C. W. pulled up his .44 magnum rifle and got off 4 shots as the buck turned to flee, taking the tampon in tow. (Hence the buck got the name Big Red tagged to him). The huge buck was hit hard and was struggling through the trees and brush with C. W. in hot pursuit firing many more shots as he went. As the huge buck struggled to get up the last time, C. W. fired two more shots for a grand total of 14 rounds. He finally had to finish the job with his knife. The buck, Big Red field dressed at 260 pounds and his antlers had an incredible outside spread of 34 4/8 inches. The gross score of this very wide rack is 201 3/8. This secret method of attracting bucks would go on to be debated throughout the years to come, but one things for sure, Big Red is one heck of buck!!!! (Of course this story may not be true)

The picture you didn't see.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  8. Rag-Tag

Rag-Tag 6 pointer

Jan 19, 2004
    Pensacola, Florida, USA.
    Guncat,
    2 questions:
    Any word on where in Todd Co is was killed? Closest town etc?
    Also, what/where exactly is the Shell Shop in Hoptown? I assume a full line hunting shop? Reason I ask is I would like to support a local place like that. I would hate for Hopkinsville to turn out like Clarksville.

9. Docknboatlift

Docknboatlift 8 pointer

Mar 24, 2004
    Louisville
    CM12, that's just WRONG!! LOL LMFAO

10. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    I like CM's version better.I've heard of Big Red several times but never knew it took 14 rounds and a knife to kill him.I don't believe I'd told anyone the story if it took me that many times to get him down so I could finish him with a knife.Practice,Practice................

11. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    I saw that buck in the north american whitetail mag years ago. It is truly a giant.

12. bigbill

bigbill Fawn

Sep 26, 2006
    Where is the wound from the knife??? I would think it would be on the neck??

13. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    That looks like a bullet hole in the front leg,and one in the hind leg......

14. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    They left out the part of the story where, The deer came into the open and C.W. was shaking like a dog passing peach seeds. That is why it took 14 shots.:D

15. SmokeyBear

SmokeyBear 8 pointer

I also read the story of this deer in a special edition of North American Whitetail Magazine called "Legendary Whitetails" a few years ago. I've actually still got that magazine out in my storage building somewhere. I was up in northern Pennsylvania back in June and stopped by a Cabela's outlet in Hamburg, PA. They had a replica mount of "Big Red" in their "whitetail hall of fame" section. They also had replicas of the Jordan Buck, the Hanson Buck, the Hole-in-the-Horn Buck, and just about every other well known buck that's in the record book. The size of these deer in person is truely amazing!!!:eek: I filled up an entire memory card in my wife's digital camera taking pictures of the taxidermy work they had in there.

16. big bubba t

big bubba t 10 pointer

Sep 4, 2004
    Waltersburg , KY
    Did they have photoshop back then? :D

17. GunCat

GunCat 8 pointer

Jan 26, 2006
    Fairview, KY
    Big Red came from the northeast side of the county (I think) maybe 8-10 miles northeast of Elkton.

The Shell Shop in Hopkinsville is on Hammond Drive, off Hwy 41A on the south side of town, maybe 12 miles from Interstate 24. It is mainly a guns and ammo type store. Generally has a couple hundred or more guns in stock. Dealer for Kimber, Benelli, Beretta, Remington, Springfield Armory, Glock, etc and usually some interesting used or consignment guns. They also carry a few hunting accessories (call, scent, decoys, etc,) and have a 2 lane, 25 yard indoor pistol shooting range. They also offer a wide line of gunsmithing services. The gunsmith is a good guy, he eats breakfast at my house every morning ;)

BTW, there are no more deer left in Todd County, we harvested the last one 2 years ago. ;) ;)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006