Big Bore Air Rifles

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Skipper, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Skipper

Skipper Banned

Jun 21, 2004
    Corbin, KY.
    Man, I didn't know these things existed. Two weeks ago, they held the Standing Stone Rendevous here in Corbin. Air rifle shooters from all over the US and Europe showed up to shoot everything from .177 pellet guns to a monster .58 caliber bolt action air rifle. That .58 caliber was one awesome machine. It shot 650 grain maxiballs and obliterated a steel target at 40 yards.

Gary Barnes was the guy who built this firearm. It was something to see. Very capable of killing an Elk or Black Bear. I'd be hesitant on a Grizzly simply because of the shot limitation of the air supply. They powered these things with compressed air from a dive cylinder. The 58 cal at full power could get 2 shots to a charge, maybe 5 at the lower pressure they were using to keep from killing the targets at the range.

Have you ever seen such rifles? Like I said, I didn't know they existed till I went to this thing. I knew there were a lot of small calibers around, and like everyone else I know, my first rifle was a Red Ryder, but this is just way past that. The big guns were very much equivalent to traditional muzzleloaders as far as power goes.

Here's some pics of the guns I took while I was there.

http://skipsoutdoors.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2962

Skipper

www.Skipsoutdoors.com

2. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

I've never heard of anything like that. Thats pretty neat. What was the recoil like on the 54 cal?

3. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    Yeah some actually hunt small game like pigs and ram with them. Don't think it's legal in this state.

BUT DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THEY COST. THINK I'LL BUY A CENTERFIRE RIFLE INSTEAD.

Barring in mind that most of the drive behind air rifles comes from europe because they are not allowed to have guns.

But still amazing what they can do with an air rifle.

www.straightshooters.com

4. Skipper

Skipper Banned

Jun 21, 2004
    Corbin, KY.
    Did you know it's not legal in Kentucky to so much as hunt squirrel with an air rifle? I didn't know that myself till we got to talking about it at the shoot. I just wish someone would have told me that when I was 10. [​IMG]

The big guns there were every one custom made. I understand that there are some that are production guns that are more reasonably priced. The big bores range from .30 cal and up. One guy had a picture of a Howitzer he'd built that fired a beer can sized shell. There were several 45's, 50's, and the lone 58.

Gary Barnes from Pennsylvania was the builder of the .58 and builds custom air rifles. Starting price for one of his guns is $4,000. Options of course are extra. He said the average gun ran around $7,000. He also said he had a waiting list. It takes between 3 and 4 years to get your gun once you place the order.

Skipper

www.Skipsoutdoors.com

5. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I'm pretty sure they had air rifles on the Louis and Clark expedition for hunting way back when. Saw that in a magazine somewhere.

6. Wow, my first 'gun' was a .22 caliber pellet gun. Had to pump it up 10 times for maximum output and it was all you could do at 9 years old to get that last pump in. Killed my first game animal (rabbit) with that air gun.

[​IMG]

7. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

Yea, I actually just read that a few minutes ago in American hunter. They had a .31 cal that took as many as 1000 pumps to shoot it.

8. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    actually it is legal to hunt squirrel with an air rifle.

Deer specifies center fire rifle. They do not make this specification on squirrels.

To check this I emailed the KDFWR and received an email back stating it was LEGAL to use an air rifle on a squirrel.

9. Skipper

Skipper Banned

Jun 21, 2004
    Corbin, KY.
    They didn't have to pump these guns. They were charged with compressed air from dive cylinders. One guy there manufactured carbon fiber cylinders to reduce weight so they could be carried on a hunt. I believe they said they charged the 58 cal to about 2600 psi. You'd pump a while on that. [:p]

Somebody needs to tell the CO's that it's legal to hunt squk with an air gun. That's who I asked. There were 2 sitting there at the range observing.

Skipper

www.Skipsoutdoors.com

10. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    No I believe last time I read the hunting guide sling shots were specifically not allowed.

Hunters may use muzzle-loading or modern rifles or handguns of any caliber, shotguns no larger than 10 gauge, archery or crossbow equipment and dogs to take squirrels during the spring season. Hunting with slingshots is prohibited. Modern shotguns used to hunt squirrels must be plugged to hold a maximum of three shells (two in magazine and one in chamber). Squirrel hunters may not use or carry buckshot. (KRS 150.360, 301 KAR 2:251)

11. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    Below is the message given to me

Yes you may squirrel hunt with an air rifle.
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 8:11 AM
    To: Hedges, Randy (FW)
    Subject: FW: Please include your name and mailing address in this message if requesting mailings

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, August 27, 2004 11:07 PM
    To: info.center@mail.state.ky.us
    Subject: Please include your name and mailing address in this message if requesting mailings

I am purchasing a modern air rifle (1000fps) either .177 or .22 and use it for general practice and hopefully squirrel hunting. Many states I believe allow the use of these modern rilfes for squirrel hunting. The guide for squirrels does not specifically deal with this issue.

Hunters may use muzzle-loading or modern rifles or handguns of any caliber, shotguns no larger than 10 gauge, archery or crossbow equipment and dogs to take squirrels during the spring season. Hunting with slingshots is prohibited. Modern shotguns used to hunt squirrels must be plugged to hold a maximum of three shells (two in magazine and one in chamber). Squirrel hunters may not use or carry buckshot. (KRS 150.360, 301 KAR 2:251).

Technically an air rifle is a breech loading firearm. These are lethal to small game animals out to 50 yards. Please advice the on the departments stance on using modern air rifles for small game hunting.

Thank you

Scott Hogan

12. Carl

Carl 10 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    KY
    More info on big bore air guns
    http://www.glbarnes.com/
    http://www.connext.net/~daq/bandit_2.html
    http://www.airhog.com/links.htm

Never Surrender Your Firearms!

13. Carl

Carl 10 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    KY
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Skipper</i>
    <br />Did you know it's not legal in Kentucky to so much as hunt squirrel with an air rifle? I didn't know that myself till we got to talking about it at the shoot. I just wish someone would have told me that when I was 10. [​IMG]

The big guns there were every one custom made. I understand that there are some that are production guns that are more reasonably priced. The big bores range from .30 cal and up. One guy had a picture of a Howitzer he'd built that fired a beer can sized shell. There were several 45's, 50's, and the lone 58.

Gary Barnes from Pennsylvania was the builder of the .58 and builds custom air rifles. Starting price for one of his guns is $4,000. Options of course are extra. He said the average gun ran around $7,000. He also said he had a waiting list. It takes between 3 and 4 years to get your gun once you place the order.

Skipper

www.Skipsoutdoors.com
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yes it is legal to hunt small game in KY with air rifles. I don't know who told you it was ilegal, but they didn't know what they were talking about. I have been doing it for years. I called KDFW and the said it was ok.

Never Surrender Your Firearms!

14. There is a guy on another forum which I frequent who is an AVID airgun hunter...here is a link to his webpage! He has just put out a DVD of hunts with airguns (UP TO 20mm!) and there is a clip from the DVD on the website that you can watch. Pretty cool...and a LONG way from my Red Rider or my "upgrade" to a Crossman 760 Powermaster!!! [:D] (But OH, were those the days...!!!)

Genesis 9:3 "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

15. OK, HERE is the link to his webpage...sorry, a little quick on the trigger!

http://bigboreairguns.com/

Genesis 9:3 "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."