Best camo rain suit?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Xi Bowhunter, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    I know some of you guys, like myself, will go ahead and hunt in a downpour if you get the chance. What has been the best rain suit for keeping you dry while in the stand or on the ground, aside from using a ground blind?

2. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Gortex....Buy a Browning Hydro Fleece or Suede jacket and pants and be done with getting wet.

3. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
  4. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    It has been a while since I bought my rainsuit but what ever you decide make sure it is gore tex or sympatex based. I would recommend something in a cotton twill outer shell as well.......

Features I would consider would be zippers and buttons up the front....this acts as a double barrier for rain to penetrate due to the overlap in the design......

I would also recommend that the pants be a suspender type ( preferably with a bib design or at least come well above the waist line) because you want something that is not binding......Nothing like trying to climb up a muddy creek bank in rain pants that are to tight.....

Definately you want zippered legs that are flapped and button as well......

I like a jacket that has a good hood as well......

5. droopy

droopy 10 pointer

i bought the squal-tex suit from bass pro last year,its light weight and pretty affordable.

6. ClayDog

ClayDog 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2005
    MAysville Ky
    I dont know bout all that (GORE-TEX) stuff. I like the Ghillie suit :) :):D

7. muzzy125acc

muzzy125acc 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2002
    PULASKI CO..
    Man those where the days when we going to get started again?

8. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Both me and my dad use squal tech. its affordable and ive always stayed dry even on some of the worst downpours. Good stuff.

9. gunpilot

gunpilot Fawn

Mar 1, 2007
    Rain suits

Wore my Browning Lite in the rain for 3 hours yesterday and remained completely dry.

10. Ive heard good things about the browning waterproof fleece. I plan on trying it soon, it should do a good job keeping you warm too!

11. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    I also have the Browning gore tex jacket. I forgot it yesterday. Had 3/4 of an inch in the rain gauge and also in my underwear and boots. :( Glad to get some rain though.

12. kycamtrakker

kycamtrakker 6 pointer

Feb 22, 2006
    i also have a BROWNING rain suit but hey for $500 it should keep ya dry

13. str8 shot

str8 shot 12 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    berea kantuckie
    yea i just go naked...dont have to fool with wet underwear and socks

14. BuckUp

BuckUp Banned

Jan 30, 2007
    Frog Toggs is the only rain gear that has ever kept me completly dry!!!

15. BuckBuster

BuckBuster 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Hardin Co., Ky.
    I just wore my brand new Frogg toggs monday, & my shirt was completely soaked. Maybe a malfunction?

16. struttin&ruttin

struttin&ruttin 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2006
    Henderson, KY
    Waders?

I usually put a camo unbrella up on my tree. It works pretty good. Bad part is my leggs always get soaked and my back a little wet. I have plans if rain is in the forecast this year. If it is cool enough I might just wear waders and just got a new set of Frog Toggs last year at Uncle Lees. (When they were on sale of course)

Anybody tried waders in a deer stand?

17. etownhunter

etownhunter 12 pointer

Mar 21, 2004
    Central ky
    I found a great deal on a set at uncle lee's earlier this year.prices were marked way down. jacket $20. Pants $15. Went back in late september, they were still marked down, so i bought another jacket. I used them wednesday, no complaints. Only pattern they have is Realtree AP HD, which is a great fall pattern.

18. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    I was told that the Toggs are made of recycled newspaper and glue. They feel awefully thin but if they work and keep you dry who cares what they are made of.

19. Well, it hasn't rained on me yet this weekend, but I bought the hell's canyon browning wind/water proof pants and shirt. It was windy tonight and that wind didn't bother me one bit. When I got back to the truck I took off the jacket and got cold chills from the wind...so far its a thumbs up!