Best buck taken on the farm for 2013

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by JDMiller, Nov 19, 2013.

1. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    First.... congrats to all the successful deer hunters this season.

I've spent more time up a tree during the last few weeks than on the ground ... LOL. So... I've not kept up with the post & buck pics on here very well and know I've missed congratulating many and hearing the stories afield.

Which... for me... it's been a tough season ...so far. Started with doing what I always vow not to do... hunt one specific buck. But after several encounters with this one buck with bow in hand .... got hooked. Always was the same... out of range..ect... but honestly the buck had to be the luckiest deer alive.

During that time bowhunting... passed on several decent bucks.. several I had posted trail cam pics on here. This one in particular... wasn't a monster by any means... but one of those deer you just cant shake. Which I just kept thinking... if all else fails... the 30-06 will be the equalizer for that "out of range" he kept eluding me. So... needless to say I had pretty high hopes on opening day.

Needless to say... his luck did run out... just not by me... LOL.

My BIL took him that morning on opening day ... again no monster booner ... but a good solid buck and was fortunate to share in his joy of harvesting one of his best bucks to date.

[​IMG]

2. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    Congrats to him on a great buck!!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

3. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    Good looking buck to me! Congrats to your BIL!

4. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    Tell him congrats, and it sounds like you had a good season just the same. Plenty of time left to hunt.

5. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Nice buck. Kudos to your BIL.

6. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Good job BIL!! Had a tough season myself. But I'm in zone 1 so I may get him in a few days. If not look out does I'm taking it out on you!!

7. racsr

racsr 10 pointer

May 7, 2009
    morgan county ky
    Congrats to your BIL!

8. yelper

yelper 8 pointer

Nov 17, 2003
    Congrats on your buck! Looks like one I saw in Owen county earlier.

9. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    Welcome back JD. Congrats to the BIL. That's a very nice buck and the way it goes sometimes. Thanks for sharing.

10. scrape

scrape 8 pointer

Jul 24, 2003
    Manchester, ky.
    Nice buck, congrats!

11. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    Nice one!! Congrats to your BIL...........:D

12. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Looks like a great buck! Congrats to your BIL!

13. cfd266

cfd266 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2003
    Evans Family Farm
    Congratulations to your BIL!!!

14. Shaine1985

Shaine1985 10 pointer

Jul 11, 2012
    your moms
    good looking buck!!! Congrats

15. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Wondered how you guys were doing. Been a little slow across the river

16. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I've seen quite a few bucks ... just nothing to get excited about... but overall been a real sporadic rut this year on our place.

Back around the very end of October.... bucks started crusin as expected... and I'd laid money that things were just going to bust wide open any day ... but I'm still waiting LOL.

I've logged quite a few hours in the stand since then... and seems one day you see a lot of activity and a little chasin going on... then the next day or days ... the deer act like it's early season on typical feeding patterns. Just been weird ... and totally unpredictable on what stage of the game were in right now. Which like most... I can expect a lull during peak period for awhile .... but just seems there wasn't a high point to set the bar to judge by.

At the end of each day I've hunted... kept thinking the next day will be better.... then it's the same. Guess it's just one of those years ...at least for our place... just not a very visible rut. Also not seen a flurry of roadkills as the norm driving back & forth from Calloway to north Christian.

I'm not giving up yet... but I'm giving it a rest for a little while. Always got bow and late blackpowder might be eventful this year.

17. jmiracle

jmiracle Spike

Sep 8, 2013
    Congrats on an awesome deer