Bad shot placement

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by TRAILMASTER, Sep 9, 2011.

1. TRAILMASTER

TRAILMASTER 8 pointer

Feb 12, 2004
    Nelson, Co.
    Bad shot placement making me uneasy as well this week, but it happens I will admit. I believe a few on here are closing their eyes when they shoot, they have no idea where they hit the deer.

I would also like to say I believe a few that lost deer this week and will lose deer this season on here will take ok shots just to take them so they can get a deer on a self filmed hunt when they should just concentrate on good shot placement. A polaroid, a mount, and freezer full says more about you as a hunter than a video displaying bad shot placement and maybe getting lucky. Don't get caught up in the video hype just enjoy yourselves and make good ethical decisions.

And as far as people talking about losing deer, it happens bring it up, vent a little. There is good advice on here to assist you. Forget the fact it may be used against us hunters it needs to be talked about. It will take more than that to bring us down.

Just my opinion.

2. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    This should be a good one:eek:

3. shot placement is key

over the past 3 years i've seen everyone buy in to the mechanical broadhead hipe. this one cuts this big and that one cuts even bigger. and for 10 more bucks this one will field dress your deer for you and cape it if it's a wall banger bla bla bla. i'm wandering what ever happened to a good old fixed blade broadhead and a well placed shot. i'm 30 years old and have been bow hunting since i was 13. in 17 years and after 18 bow kills i can honestly say i've lost 2 of them. one to coyotes and one because the deer crossed a property line at kleber a few years back. the rest were killed with muzzy broadheads and didn't involve a whole lot of tracking. i think these mechanical broadheads have made hunters less concerned with accuracy.

4. huntin' is my obsession

huntin' is my obsession 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2009
    lexington
    You must have superman vision because an arrow slung at speeds of 260-300 fps is pretty dang hard to see... I agree at smart shots but many rely on their instincts for the green light and then it happens so fast that your left to put the pieces back together. Deer are WILD, they are tough, and they dont always do as we expect.

5. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    I will tell you what I think. I think if I was not there personally to witness the shot, then there is no way I have enough information to even form a theory as to what might have happened, much less call someone out on it.

6. Shedhunter4011

Shedhunter4011 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2009
    Up a Tree
    Yep, this will get more comments than Mr. Hicks thread...:)

7. StikIt08

StikIt08 Fawn

May 26, 2010
    I understand deer will be lost but we owe it to the animal to make the most ethical shot possible. Bad shots happen, I am guilty, but you can bet I learned from it and so too will bowhunters who are newer to the sport.

8. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Jeez, I've never heard of so many guys slinging arrows and not finding deer. It happens, but the rate I am seeing it on here ticks me off.

Whenever I see another of these things first thing that comes to my mind is that they have problems on distance and being to eager too take the shot. Everyone says "35 yards." That more often than not means 45+ in my experience when talking to guys that missed or made a bad shot.

Relax and wait until the dang thing is within top pin distance and recovery is not as big of an issue.

9. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    This is one topic that really makes me want to chew nails bacause there is so much bad info and excuses out there. Here's some random thoughts.

1- "I hit the deer perfect and didn't find it. They sure are tough."

No you didn't. If you bust both lungs your deer is dead, usually in 10 to 15 seconds. I have NEVER seen a double lunged deer make it 150 yards unless it was rolling down a hill. The vast majority make it less than 100. Accept the fact that you didn't hit the critter where you "think" you did. Unlees you're standing over the carcass, there's no way to be sure of your hit.

2- "I shot a deer with (X brand) broadhead and didn't find it. They are junk."

Refer to rant #1. While I am fanatical about broadhead quality and sharpness, this one gets used way too often. A hole through the lungs isn't something they can just "walk off". I've known 2 guys that have mistakenly shot deer with field tips. Another buddy had a Grim Reaper break as it entered the rib cage and just the arrow and ferrule exited, minus the blades. All deer were dead in 100 yards.

3- "I hit a deer above the lungs and below the spine"

Another excuse that gets used WAY too much especially when said deer actually runs off with 20" off arrow sticking out of it's shoulder. While I won't say this is impossible, it is EXTREMELY rare. Maybe 1 in 1,000 hits and thats being very generous. Most of these are hits above the spine especially when the hit is also forward where the spine begins to drop down. In a ground blind, maybe possible if all the stars are aligned. 20 ft. in a tree and a deer at 20 yards, I don't see it.

I will lose a deer now and then just like anyone else but it has always been MY FAULT. Not my equipment or some bionic deer that couldn't be killed.

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    so your saying you're not suppose look at the antlers when you shoot?????????? :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  11. wiredtofish

wiredtofish Fawn

Aug 7, 2011
    Callahan, FL.
    I like trick shots , get bored with the ethical ones. You know run em down and tackle em and such. In my parts we shoot hogs in the arse to get rid of them.

12. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    Yall be dum in yore parts.

Shooting them in the ribs would get rid of them permanently and you'd get your arrow back.

13. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    good post...

14. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

I'd get my butt kicked at a 3D shoot. I can hit a softball at 30 yards every time which is plenty good enough for my purposes. But in the last 3 years even with my decade old bow setup, I am 7 out of 8 on shots where deer didn't make it out of view before taking a nap. The one that didn't was a clean miss low on an uphill shot. I just don't understand shooting a deer with bow, gun, spear, whatever and having it run 300 yards. Blows my mind.

15. Pull My Finger

Pull My Finger 6 pointer

Apr 13, 2008
    Versailles
    One of the best posts I've seen on here in quite awhile.

Stop making so much sense, Pentail, you're going to confuse the masses.

16. wiredtofish

wiredtofish Fawn

Aug 7, 2011
    Callahan, FL.

Actually, I hunt them year round to hone my shooting (I truly dislike them though, you cant have a corn pile and they root my food plots). Their vitals are little more challenging to hit and require a lot of patience for the right shot. good tune up for deer season. Swamps and palmettos here, bad shot means slim to no chance recovering. I can definitely see where a range finder would be necessary up your way.

17. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    While I don't doubt that Muzzy's are fine broadheads I have killed deer with spitfire, thunderheads and Rage. The rage is by far and away the superior broadhead I have 12 or 14 deer over the last 3 years with them and haven't lost one yet. Furthermore I have yet to have anyone that looked at deer that were killed by a Rage not go and buy them.

18. nhudson

nhudson 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2008
    lawrenceburg,ky
    in this age of modern technology,webcams,instant messages,trail cameras and the media blitz that is on tv constantly are we setting ourselves up for disappointment?do all the recent posts on this forum point that out,with all the accusations and finger pointing.a couple of years ago my brother and a couple of our friends were sitting around when one says he is totally disgusted with not seeing any big bucks on his property and blah blah .my brother looks at him and says,here in the real world your not bill jordan,this isn.t iowa and there is not a 150 inch deer behind every tree so be happy for time spent in the woods with family and friends and get over it.killing a good deer is a bonus for me but the time i spend hunting gives me peace of mind and relieve some stress,see friends that i only see a few times a year and if all goes well make and meet new friends.my dad is 80 years old and i cherish each hunt with him and i wish there could be more.so guys lighten up and enjoy the outdoors for the right reasons while we can.my 2 cents worth

19. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    I have been bowhunting for about 28 years now and have lost I think 4 deer that have been shot with a bow. I can say that one was because of bad judgement,someone found one and took it,and the other two looked like good shots but I tracked them both for a realy long ways. One of them went for about 2 miles up and down hills I couldn't hardly walk up,deer have a very strong will to live and if the shot isn't perfect then your gonna lose one every now and then. I hate it that I lost any but it happens to the best of us sometimes. I lost a big 8 point a few years ago and I understand why and I learned from it. I watched that deer bedded down in front of me at 20 yards with a smaller 8, there was one little tree covering the big ones vitals. The little one stood to leave and walked right in a shooting lane,I thought the big one was gonna fallow but he turned to go around the brush pile the other way. I remember it as plane as day,when he turned and was leaving I told myself,your not getting away from me. I took a bad shot at a sharp quartering away angle and hit him far back and high. I found one little spot of blood on a tree and that was it,I watched and walked the farm for a week and found or heard nothing. This was a valuable lesson and a hard learned one,we all learn from experience.