Arrowhead hunters?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by slow-bow, Jan 4, 2007.

1. slow-bow

slow-bow 10 pointer

Oct 19, 2006
    Henderson Co., KY
    Just curious if anyone else on this site is a "flint- head." I do a lot of rock hunting after bow season. I have a small collection compared to some of the other rock hounds I know. Mine consists of about 90 "case" pieces and probably more than 1,000 broken ones. My boss has more than 7,000 pieces in cases; 95% of which he found himself. Holler at me if you like this kind of "hunting."

2. Wes McClain

Wes McClain 6 pointer

Nov 5, 2006
    I was into it for a while.i guess i had a few hundread arrowheads,i found most of them in owen co. and around elkhorn creek in franklin co.

3. Used to love to hunt them when I was younger,I'd trapse through the tobbaco fields after every rain,getting harder to find places to hunt them seems like,people want them for themselves and the government land is off limits.
    I had a huge collection at one time,gave them to my oldest son.

4. gicts

gicts 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2004
    Louisville
    yup yup! We've got closets fulls lol. Starting college I dove into an archaeology degree bc I had been looking for 8 years or so already but you have to get a doctorate really to go far...and really the only thing to do is to teach anymore

5. Luckybuck

Luckybuck 10 pointer

May 29, 2006
    N. KY
    Yep, I am currently in the process of building a house and cleared 4 acres where there was a huge Indian settlement and have found three arrowheads this week alond with about 50 pieces of flint. I will try to remember to take a picture this weekend when I am back at the site. Here is two interesting pieces I picked up a few months back:
    [​IMG]
    Not sure what the tool was used for, but it was pretty cool. Found a spear nearby too but I have it at school for my students to see. All were found less than fifty yards from three burial mounds.

6. gicts

gicts 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2004
    Louisville
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    kinda hard to tell from your pic but it looks like an adze
    how big is the arrowhead?

7. Luckybuck

Luckybuck 10 pointer

May 29, 2006
    N. KY
    The arrowhead is one inch fron tip to base.

8. lances

lances 10 pointer

Sep 12, 2004
    Lake Cumberland KY
    When I was younger I loved to hunt them. I hav about 20 show pieces the rest broken, It seems I do not have time anymore but I hope to do more some day

9. chadwimc

chadwimc 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    My late father in law could find arrowheads in the middle of a black topped highway. I never could spot 'em the way he did. He even found a copper or bronze arrowhead while in Greece.I have several places that were inhabited by injuns but never find anything.But then, I was always better at finding civil war artifacts.

10. dipits

dipits 8 pointer

Dec 20, 2003
    Ky..
    Have noy looked for about 19 years. Used to go a lot . Looked mostly in Marion county .

11. Poppa Cap

Poppa Cap Spike

Nov 1, 2004
    Robards,KY
    I haven't hunted 'em in years. I used to really be in to it and found a couple dozen and an axe head, some grinding stones, and a lot of flint. Let's meet up and have a show and tell some time.

12. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    I used to hunt them,but its been a while. Its a good feeling to find a piece of worked flint thats been covered for hundreds or thousands of years,and wonder what was going on and the surroundings when that indian was working that rock

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I am not good at it but my sister can spot a piece of flint in a roadside ditch while doing 50 mph. She has a extensive collection from over the years. One she took to a museum head to check out is worth several thousand $$$ and dates back to the stone age. Me I find broken pieces is all.

14. I found an old rawhide steel-bladed knife in a creek when I was a kid once,Cincinnati Museum of Natural history dated it to the mid-1700's somehow.

One of my brothers swiped it and sold it somewhere.

Might have belonged to Simon Kenton or co.

15. Forgot to mention,after reading this post I went and got permission to arrowhead hunt 800 acres a friend of mine owns with what could be burial mounds and along some river/creek bottoms.

16. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 8 pointer

Sep 4, 2006
    Edmonson
    I used to find a few i mostly looked in edmonson,hart i have then put up i need to sale then i guess before they get broke or something. i have some nice bird points

17. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    I use to hunt them every chance I got. Had knee surgery in '83 and after that the soft dirt would cause my knee to roll over so I quit. My two best finds. One day I thought I saw a celt but it was huge. I turned it over with my tobbaco stick and wow! It weighed little over 6 pounds, was 5 inches across at the cutting edge and was 13 inches long. That very same day and same field I found a drill that was a tad over 4 inches. I had a guy that hounded me for my collection and stupid me sold it all. :mad:
    This same guy traded a Ford four wheel drive for a birdstone. Only birdstone that has ever been found in Garrard that I know of.

18. therron258

therron258 10 pointer

Sep 24, 2006
    Madisonville, KY
    ive always thought it seemed interesting, ive been out geocaching and seen where people have been digging for them. I would just have no idea where to look!!

19. rouge

rouge BBBC Members

Jan 30, 2002
    lexington, KY, USA.
  20. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose