Appalachian Outlaws

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by 120+, Feb 12, 2014.

1. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Anyone seen this on the history channel? I watched it on demand while waiting for a game to start. Pretty entertaining.

2. KHAdmin

KHAdmin 8 pointer

Aug 17, 2012
    Yeah, it's entertaining...

3. OldEarnhardtFan

OldEarnhardtFan 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2014
    Northeast of Berea
    I caught it last week. I didn't know if I should laugh, cry or be afraid....be very afraid!

4. HillBillyFiveO

HillBillyFiveO 8 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Newport, KY
    Apparently ginseng will make people do crazy chit!! The two fellas from WV were not to pleased with the fella from GA (I believe). Lotta gunslinging going on.

Floyd T.

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Just another staged show. People got a free trip to the big house for less than some of those guys do.

6. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Sure its staged. I doubt they would strap a camera on a guy's chest and trot him across a field to get shot at.

Sad thing is, it's pretty much on point. There are plenty of those kinda nuts for real.

How many of you would intentionally step in a snare and let it flip you upside down? That was pretty funny.

7. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    The commercials were so stupid and unrealistic, I turned the channel.

8. owcobro

owcobro 6 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    walton, ky
    I kinda like the show because I want to learn about ginseng.

But I think the show encourages and even justifies trespassing and stealing. Glad it is not filmed in KY, we have enough of a bad reputation for being redneck and lazy.

Just think how upset everybody on here would be if a show was on tv showing how to trespass and poach deer.

9. WhitetailWarrior53081

WhitetailWarrior53081 8 pointer

Aug 3, 2009
    I watched the show and was fairly entertained for a while, but after time went on I kind of begin to think it was too fake for my liking.

10. KYDEERCHASR

KYDEERCHASR 10 pointer

Aug 29, 2005
    marion county
    way too much of this stuff on now. everything is staged. not entertaining to me.

11. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    I watched about half an episode a while back, couldn't stand it. At least its not in Kentucky.

12. tnkyhunter

tnkyhunter Spike

Oct 9, 2009
    iv saned all my life and that is the stupidest show ever

13. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    Apparently there is a lot more ginseng in West Virginia than in my part of Kentucky. Those guys appear to dig 4 or 5 pounds a day, and it dries in a week......for some reason I doubt that. It is scripted, just like Moonshiners and Swamp People, only worse I think. I'm just glad it's WV that's being made to look stupid.

14. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I have caught part of two shows. I guess none of those guys have regular jobs.

15. J_Shockey

J_Shockey 6 pointer

Sep 6, 2010
    Madison co.
    Who needs a regular job when "fresh" ginseng brings 1000+ per pound, and apparently grows like fescue in WV. I don't know who they expect to believe all this, but if you've dealt with ginseng at all you have to know its all fake. Last year I sold some completely dried at 850 per lb. I just hope this show doesn't make people start thinking ginseng is gold and start trampling everything in the woods looking for it.

16. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    does ginseng bring that kind of money? I never knew what ginseng looked like until last fall when I was looking for the buck I shot. My uncle pointed it out to me....

17. J_Shockey

J_Shockey 6 pointer

Sep 6, 2010
    Madison co.
    $850.00 per dried lb. was the best I found last year. From what I've read/been told it takes around 3 fresh lbs to make a dried lb. So the ridiculous prices they have on this show just blow my mind, wondering how they come up with such. I guess it makes for a more interesting show...

18. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    Breathitt Co.
    I know where some ginseng patches are that would get you shot, but it's a planted crop. Not sure how many pounds would be there but I would say a lot. It was seeded probably 40 years ago.

I never could do much good digging it. I enjoy doing it though. Lets me do a lot of deer scouting during late summer/early fall.

19. Xcal1ber

Xcal1ber 12 pointer

Jul 16, 2011
    Couple ridges over
    I think it's an entertaining "reality" tv show. You guys act like you're surprised when you find out one of these shows like this is fake. Non of that crap on tv is real, you just have to treat it like Monday night wrestling, and watch it for the entertainment factor. All I know is them guys are serious about ginseng, and it grows in massive amounts over there lol

20. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

The camera shots of the mountains they show from helicopters or planes are beautiful. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't watch it because it's "fake". Exactly how many shows do you think are actually real? Brady Bunch?