Anyone know a good knife maker

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Wildman771, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Wildman771

Wildman771 Fawn

Jun 1, 2016
    I am looking for someone who is pretty good at knife making I have got one that needs some work it a cold steel Bowie machete which for any one who don't know what it is it a machete made like a Bowie knife it a great blade and it can be made in to a pretty good fighting knife but the handle sucks and it does not have a handguard so I am looking for anyone who could make a handguard and a better handle to put on it if anyone knows how or could recommend someone it would be great thanks for the help

2. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 8 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    Steve Dunn in Smith's Grove but be prepared to wait, there's a long line ahead of you. Some of his knives are going for thousands of dollars so he might be a bit pricy too.

Can't find his personal web page and I know he used to have one but he's made some of the finest knives I've ever seen and now he's doing engraving on guns too, they are all show pieces.

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/index.php?section=users&subsection=user_detail&user_id=200

If you're in a hurry, he might recommend someone to you. Good luck.

3. Phillip Johnson in Morgantown, Hershel, Frank or John House in Woodbury KY. These guys are craftsmen.

4. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Ever find anyone? I work with a guy who's a great knife maker. I had him restore a WWII navy knife I had. And I know a few other coworkers that have had him build custom knives for Christmas presents this year. I highly recommend him. You can check out some of his work on his FB page. Look up Stolberg Steel.

5. dpowers

dpowers 6 pointer

Jun 26, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Do you have contact info for Stlberg Steel? Like the knife at the top of his page.

Dave

6. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Yeah, I'll get it for you tomorrow.

7. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    He said to just reach out to him on Facebook. He said he used to do it through calls and texts, but it got to be too much to keep straight. So he now uses FB so he can keep track of where everyone is in line.

But I've seen his work up close and had him fix a knife for me. You won't be disappointed. He won't let you.

8. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    Travis Crain in Richmond KY