Aluminum Duck Boats

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by turkey, Dec 5, 2011.

1. turkey

turkey 10 pointer

Sep 16, 2008
    16-20 ft aluminum boats pros and cons of each? I have no time use mine anymore so I will prob go back to a good ol 16 with tiller....interested in hearing opinions in my experience you need a garage full of kayaks and aluminum!

2. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    They had a 20 footer in stock at a dealer near me. Damn thing was 8 foot wide in the rear beam and the installed floor was big enough for a wooden picnic table. That's too big for me. Maybe if it were more narrow.

3. turkey

turkey 10 pointer

Sep 16, 2008
    20fts great river goose rigs!

4. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Big enough to be safe, small enough to hide.

No boat is too big for running the two west KY oceans and Itall's river. But they might be too big to hide effectively or maneuver in timber.

I run a 1752 side console with a 60 hp Yamahammer. Big enough to be safe on the lakes and river in most conditions (there are some times when no boat should be out, know when) but small enough to hide and maneuver in tight spots. It fits how and where I hunt.

You might need way more boat, you may get by with less. You might need lots of speed, you might be better with the go-anywhere aspect of mud motor

5. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    This is what I had...a Grizzly 2072...and I did not like it at all. I hated trailering it as it was wider than my truck and I only had like 6" on each side to stay in my lane. This was not good when I got caught between 2 semi's coming up from Tennessee. Also, it did not handle well on the water either. I do a lot of jugging and it took forever to turn the thing around. I downsized to what I think is perfect for me..an 1860. Oh, and it's a side console too. The 2072 was center console and I will never have another.

However, it was stable as hell. You could walk around all you wanted and it would not rock at all.

6. artcarney_agr

artcarney_agr Banned

Oct 9, 2007
    My dream duck rig is a Sea Ark....THICK hulls on those dudes with a lifetime warranty. An 1872 would be about right for me - I'd like to have a center console on it, but have it short enough that it wouldn't interfere with a blind.

I haven't seen an F&F yet, but I keep hearing good things about those as well.

I'm currently in a 1756 Lowe with a 40 hp tiller Yamaha - it gets the job done....for now anyways. Probably wouldn't get another one because the longer I own it, the more I dislike it.

I don't like any of the Tracker brand/Grizzly....the quality just doesn't seem to be there.

Of course, the biggest thing to consider is how you plan to use it. A timber hunter isn't going to want the same rig as a big lake/river hunter. Shoot, there's some places where a pontoon boat with a blind on it wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

7. BootsOn27

BootsOn27 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2011
    16ft war eagle with 30 horse tiller. Gets me just about anywhere I need to go safely. But I dont hunt the big lakes.

8. waterfowlmagnet

waterfowlmagnet Fawn

Jan 11, 2006
    I took my 2072 with a 4 stroke 90 out in the headwater to save a blind.....I love this boat in the river but trees and shallow water is not it's cup of tea. 1756 or 1860 with a 40-50 hp is a much better choice

9. waterfowlmagnet

waterfowlmagnet Fawn

Jan 11, 2006
    And I'd probably go with a 2 stroke just for the weight savings, if I was only duck hunting out of it.

10. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    I thought the same thing, but a 2-cyl 40HP E-Tec is actually a little heavier than a 3-cyl 40HP Yam 4-stroke F40. Weird. I'd still go with a 2-stroke.

11. turkey

turkey 10 pointer

Sep 16, 2008
    Boats not as good as tool of the trade now with the backwater laws way they are now!

12. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    What is the new backwater law?

13. turkey

turkey 10 pointer

Sep 16, 2008
    You have to have rights to be on the water over the land under you that hunting or driving boat!

14. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    http://mhf.myhuntingandfishing.com/_Kentucky-Afield-Radio-92610/audio/787505/10577.html

27 minutes in does a good explanation of the law. In the course of navigation there is the public right to use, even waterways that are not "commercially navigable" as the coast guard definition such as creeks and streams. Most of the streams, creeks and rivers in KY are privately owned under the water.

There is also a good article on riparian rights which is a bit less clear.
    http://somerset-kentucky.com/opinion/x681521978/Public-dominion-of-Kentucky-waterways

but to quote:

15. Wonder Duck

Wonder Duck Fawn

Nov 17, 2011
    Just Curious,... has anyone ever tried using a jet ski to get into tricky shallow spots? Guess you would need a bit of camo work but sounds like it could be dynamite and a heck of alot easier to hide.

16. artcarney_agr

artcarney_agr Banned

Oct 9, 2007
    Yes, and it's not all it's cracked up to be. The thing sucks up debris like crazy in shallow water which is not a real good thing for it....it's a little different than the jet drive outboards.

17. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 8 pointer

Nov 2, 2011
    Carlisle county, KY
    If you are going to hunt timber don't go with a console. You can't quite cut it as tight as you can with a tiller. Ultimately I would have two rigs. A 16 ft with a 30-40 horse tiller for smaller waters and flooded timber. A 20 ft or bigger with a large horse power motor yet undetermined for big waters. I probably would stick with a tiller motor, I like to be close to the motor guess it's just what I am used to. Until I get out of school my 12 footer is going to have to do, so only small waters and preferably where I can boat to a spot and then get in a blind, dry ground or wade around.
    Chris

18. gunny

gunny Fawn

Dec 8, 2011
    Central Ky
    Here's our 2 cents worth,

We ran a 14 foot lowe with 15 hp for years and did a great job on the med to smaller lakes and rivers, But we wanted a boat that would handle the bigger lakes and rivers from great lakes to bays and large rivers. We looked at the tracker grizzly and the Polar Kraft and did a lot of research.

Polar Kraft Grizzly
    20 foot 20 foot
    96" wide 72" wide
    29" sides 25" side
    25" trans 20" trans
    1500 lbs 734 lbs
    6 people 9 people
    both rated up to 100 hp

We bought the polar Kraft 2096 outfitter with S/C and a 70hp yam 4 stroke we built the boat on Polar Kraft's web site then got a great deal from Arnolds boats and motors in Louisville he came in 1500 less then the tracker and a better built and safer boat, we have no problem with turning it, and it drafts real well in shallow water and belive it or not our 35 pd trolling motor push's it pretty well ( going to get a bow mount later). When we hit the side of the tracker it sounded like a tin can,the PK was a solid thud, the weld were closer togeather and what we found out from others was the grizzly weld started cracking after a few years. It took six weeks to build it as they build PK one boat at a time not line built like most of them, we feel safer on the water now not like we did in our 14 footer, Been caught out in the lakes before when a storm or high winds have kicked up the white caps.

19. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    love the polar kraft, i have an older one. great looking boat you have there. Thanks for the info, i have been looking at new ones, had no idea they were in that price range.

20. gunny

gunny Fawn

Dec 8, 2011
    Central Ky
    we're building a blind for it now, takes a lot to hide a 20 footer, it's about half done right now.