#4 Buckshot for Coyote

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by Semp, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Copperhead Road
    GameW

I've been told by Fish & Wildlife that #4 buck (or any buckshot) is illegal for coyotes in Kentucky. Yet centerfire rifles are legal. Dead Coyote T shot is legal. I don't understand the logic in this. Help! :confused:

Semp

2. GameW

GameW Fawn

Feb 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Right off hand i myself do not know the answer but i will try to get you an answer to this question. they really don't tell us why they just give us the KAR to enforce. I will ask around and if this doesn't get me anywhere then i will call Frankfort. Get back to you on this in a couple days.

3. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Copperhead Road
    Thank you for your help.

Semp

4. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    I don't understand the logic in that either. I can walk thru the woods with a 30-06 that is capable of killing anything in North America, but if I have a #4 buckshot, the perfect coyote load in my pocket, they assume I'm going to poach any deer I see.

5. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Buckshot is horrible when used wrong but when used right with the right choke its awsome. I have family in Michigan who hunt with buckshot a lot but they dont pick any old 12ga up and hit the field either. Choke and the individual load means a lot.

6. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    No. 4 Buck

New to this board and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to comment on this as I've been thinking about it for a while. No. 4 Buck seems to be the "go to" load for coyotes everywhere except in KY. What steps would be required to get a rule change on this to where No. 4 Buck would be legal for furbearers except during any deer gun season? I've killed coyotes with 3" No. 5 birdshot turkey loads but I think that was just luck. Would really like to use No' 4 buck when calling coyotes in the woods. IMO the change mentioned above would be reasonable.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  7. Hoot

Hoot 6 pointer

Mar 28, 2007
    Washington County

Semp,
    I started a thread on this last year as I too could not understand why I could coyote hunt with anythign that goes bang but I could not use buckshot:mad:. After a lot of research and blindsiding GWs (which they do not like BTW :D) I could not get a clear answer. The best response that I received was that the law is not mainly for varmit hunters but rather for the small game hunters that may want to keep a buck shot round handy for deer. I guess it would be hard to tell if someone is out trying to walk up a rabbit or if they were coyote hunting if they made the law to say that one method is legal and the other not. I have started using the "Ts" for coyote calling and they work OK the only problem is that all I can find (Without ordering) is steel shot not lead.

8. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    I can't find any lead T either and don't want to buy a new choke for steel. All mine say lead shot only. I still think the solution is to get the reg changed to allow #4 buck except in any deer gun season. How would a person go about getting that process started?

9. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Copperhead Road
    GameW

Did ya have any luck with the question?

Semp

10. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I think the regs state that it's illegal to posess "buckshot" at any time while hunting.

It is an antiquated regulation, the way to approach getting it changed is to contact your district commissioner and or your LKS representative. Be clear in describing the effectiveness of using it for coyotes and the fact that any rifle can be used so the deer protection agument no longer holds water.

I may be wrong, but I see no reason anyone would oppose changing that regulation, the exception would be of course not legal to posess during a firearms deer season...

11. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Good advice. then again, you could use the Hevi shot Dead Coyote loads, which are sized by letters not the same as buckshot. Dead Coyote is a T same size as in steel shot loads used for geese.