243 - 308 - 7mm08 and h&r handi rifles

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by turkey, Dec 22, 2008.

1. turkey

turkey 10 pointer

Sep 16, 2008
    Of the 243, 7mm08, and 308 can you tell me pros and cons of these three.

Wanting to buy a single shot h&R handi rifle

What you think about the handi rifles and what should one expect to pay? I wish I could find a good used one for sale...
  2. 454Casull

454Casull Spike

Oct 20, 2006
    Woodford County
    Handi Rifle

I think they are great guns, I have one in 30-30 and it shoots great. Go to http://www.go2gbo.com/forums//index.php and scroll down, there is an entire forum on for the Handi Rifles and Pardner Shotguns. Of what I have read, the 243 will not shoot as accurate at the other two out of the box. There is a thread (FAQ IIRC) at the Graybeard site that has lots and lots info. Check it out, there's a few days worth of reading there. I myself would not hesitate to purchase another Handi, and would really like one in 270. Great guns for the money and you can get 2 or 3 for the same money as a bolt action.

Read your thread again, new they go for $225-$250, used you should be able to find from $150 and up. I saw one in 44mag a few weeks ago for $200 that I gave great consideration to, being that I already have a 44mag revolver and ammo. There is a classifieds section at Graybeards also, keep an eye there, they come up from time to time. If you find a handi but in a different caliber, you can always have another barrel fit to the frame.

Scott7m-Why do you think they are not quality? Just because you don't have to sell your first born to afford one, doesn't mean they aren't quality. They are a well built basic single shot rifle at a good price.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  3. cornbread

cornbread 10 pointer

Apr 8, 2004
    Rockfield, KY
    I don't know much about the rifles but get the 7MM-08. The 7-08 is a very versital round.
  4. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

I wouldn't hate on the Handi-Rifles. Dang fine shooters from my experience. Bought a .243 youth model for my son and I ended up swiping it several days. Most fun I have had shooting in years. Just a blast. Accurate as heck right out of the box. I have several rifles that would be considered "quality pieces." I'm looking to pick up a HR for myself. They stack up with anything I shoot. I was a skeptic. Now I'm a believer. And in this economy, best bargain going IMO.
  5. bowfisherman

bowfisherman Spike

Dec 15, 2007

I've got one in 25-06 with a 308 barrel also and i wouldn't trade it for nothin. My neice has killed two with it this year. it certainly is a tack driver without a doubt.
  6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear 6 pointer

Nov 21, 2007
    Marion Co
    I've seen both good and bad shooting handi rifles, with most of them shooting very good for their price. IMO the quality is too spotty, and chance of getting a bad 1 is just too high.

As to the 3 cartridges, the 7mm08 is the BEST deer cartridge ever designed. It's 1 of the rare cartridges that perform WAY above what could be expected of it based on design/powder case capacity. It's capable of extreme accuracy while being very mild in recoil department. I started my kids, grandkids, and others out on deer with this cartridge, and NONE of them ever complained of it's recoil being uncomfortable-even at age of 10. I built my babygirl an 7mm08 on Remington action a few years ago,she's now almost 16 and it's already made several clean 1 shot kills-with the farthest being 431 yards on an 12 pointer. I like it so much am going to build myself 1 (except on a-bolt action) to replace my aging Browning a-bolt in .284.

The .243 is just too light IMO in case you EVER think about elk, while the .308 is simply more than is needed for deer. The 7mm08 is the perfect compermize in size.:D
  7. Auk1124

Auk1124 10 pointer

They're good rifles, plenty of bang for the buck. My two cents: Get the 308, put a decent scope on it, and shoot the ever-loving snot out of it. Not many things on this continent that couldn't be hunted and killed with a 308 handi rifle.

CUZZIN Banned

Jul 25, 2007
    Pump Jack Holler
    Sounds like a good rifle at a bargain price to me.
  9. brasskeeper

brasskeeper 6 pointer

Sep 10, 2002
    I no longer own a handy rifle but the one I had was chambered in 30-30 and was a good solid rifle that would not have any problems hunting with.

Of the calibers you listed 308 and 7mm-08 would be the ones I would narrow down to. Either are fine rounds, I have at least one bolt action of both calibers and right now my favorite is the 7mm-08. Its a mild recoiling, flat shooting round that can carry more weight than a 243. The ONLY draw back I see with the 7mm-08 is that if you buy factory ammo it is a little harder to find and a little more expensive than 308. So if cost is an issue go with 308.

Just my two cents.

I expect that the 243 crowd will jump in next.
  10. killer

killer 12 pointer

May 7, 2004
    "In that good way!"
    I would get the 308 for simple fact of ammo availablity. It is also a good all around cartridge. yotes to elk.
  11. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Exactly the chambering I am looking at. I got the youth model last year for $225 from Wally World. About the same price for the 7mm08.
  12. Triggers can be a little sticky but we had a couple that we got cheap on trades in the shop and i cant figure out why they traded them they shot like tack drivers in 308 and 243. i wished i kept the 243 for yotes just a deal to good to pass up. 7mm-08 is great cartridge for medium game like deer. I know a girl that took a 7mm-08 to Africa and shot most of the plains game with it. 308 is a shooter caliber to with lots of flavors available.
  13. hunter115

hunter115 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2005
    Nelson Co. KY
    H & r

I had a .243 and sold it to my brother, his sons shoot it and take deer every year with it. I have a .223 that is a good shooter. I think they are a great gun for the money. I would suggest the .308 because the ammo is readily available, it will take everything from yotes to big deer or more and the heavy barrel models have vary managable recoil.
  14. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    A hunting buddy of mine has one chambered in 270. I have used it several times. Its quick handling, accurate, and an absolute pleasure to pack in the woods. If a youth is hunting the farm this is the gun they use and it has taken many deer. I want one for myself. Prob go with the 308...
  15. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I've always thought about getting one in 45/70 and experimenting with spitzer bullets because I can't use them in my Marlin. Has anybody here done that?
  16. stalkingbear

stalkingbear 6 pointer

Nov 21, 2007
    Marion Co
    While the model of gun and caliber names have been changed to protect the innocent, I've done extensive load development of 30-30 ackley improved with spitzer bullets in my contender. I have loaded the .45/70 in my Ruger #3 but while it's a falling block action, the basic idea is still the same. Does that count? Between the greater breech strength of the break down action (as compared to the rear locking Marlin action), and the ability to use spitzer bullets in an single shot, you can really "wake up" many cartridges. Don't take me wrong-Marlin lever actions ARE excellent and strong actions-even stronger than trapdoor actions, but the levergun design does share same problem as most rear locking lever rifle designs-bolt flex. I've found by using such cartridges in single shots (or other rifles without tubular magazines), you can gain 10-20% in velocity (SAFELY worked up loads ONLY). Factory loads for .45/70 are still notoriously factory underloaded except for special higher pressure level factory loads such as Buffalo Bore,Cor-bon, and Grizzly. The main advantage however is downrange where the better ballistic coefficent rapidly overtakes even lighter,faster muzzle velocity flatnose bullets. Between these 2 advantages, the practical hunting range is increased 50% in the hands of a shooter that takes the time to memorize their trajectory and practice at those ranges to be deadly. I've personally made 300 yard shot with my 30-30AI contender from solid rest, and watched .45/70 clean kills out to 400 yards. Remember-I'm not talking about simply grabbing a .45/70 and blasting away at that range-nor do I reccomend such, just showing how much of an difference/improvment can be made. The new Hornady loads featuring Leverrevolution bullets are GIANT steps in the right direction while still being fesible for use in tubular magazines. Sorry to hijack thread but answering question to best of my ability and experience.
  17. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Good post stalkingbear, I am a certified 45-70 nut. I owned the basic handi rifle in 45-70 and it was a dependable little rifle, although I will mention that H&R for whatever reason machines the throat of the 45-70 a little shorter than your standard Marlin or Ruger. This is a problem if you plan on using some of the bigger Garrett or Buffalo Bore rounds. This can be fixed with a reamer but not everyone is capable or willing to do this on their own. This year (2009) I plan on purchasing H&R's Buffalo classic rifle w/ the 32 inch barrell and hopefully finding someone to ream it for me to 45-120. :eek: Not too many if any gunsmiths in this area. For whitetail, elk or bear the LE round from hornady is enough if you dont roll your own.
  18. stalkingbear

stalkingbear 6 pointer

Nov 21, 2007
    Marion Co
    THANKS headofholler-you could rent the reamer & headspace gauges and do it yourself pretty cheap. I'd be glad to walk you through the process-you don't even need a lathe. Pm me or email me and I'll help you.
    Neil seastalkingbear@yahoo.com
  19. The scout'n man

The scout'n man 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2008
    Pattyville, KY
    Now back to mthe original question at hand! I haven't had any experience with the H&R guns, But have heard nothing but good! As for the three rounds, the .243 is plenty enough for deer hunting (I hunt with one and have taken many der with it, 1 this year) but, if you plan on takeing an Elk some time, I'd go with the &mm-08 or .308. I like both those rounds, but I would definantly sway toward the 7mm-08. Because it if flatter shooting with less recoil. The .308 does pack a bit more punch behing it and does have cheaper easier to find ammo, but in recent years I have seen a rising following for the 7mm-08. But no matter what You go with I'm shure you will be happy with any of them!