220 cord?

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Rheath, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Rheath

Rheath 6 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    Is this suitable for a 220 welder cord? A fella at the dump threw it out when I was unloading the other day and I grabbed it. Looks at least 6-3 no ground. Can't find any markings. About 40 ft.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    My Lincoln 220 welder outlet is wired with no.10 wire about 30 feet from the breaker box. Have never had any problems with it.
    Can't tell from the photo, has that wire been scorched? Might check the insulation. That was a lucky find with the price of copper as it is.

3. Rheath

Rheath 6 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    Appears to be fine however I will be testing. Thank you for the reply as I do not have a whole lot of electrical experience.

4. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Even though there is no bare ground wire, one of those 3 conductors will have to be the ground. I would use the black and red for hot wires and the white for ground. Not well versed on electrical codes, but the main thing is YOU know which is which when you wire it.Make sure connections are tight.

5. Rheath

Rheath 6 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    Thank you for the reply. I really just wanted to make sure the wire size would be appropriate for the application and worth keeping. I don't even have a welder that runs on 220 currently put plan on getting one someday. For now it will be rolled up and put on the shelf until such time. It may end up being wired directly to the breaker box in my building for the 220 plug.

6. jfiscus

jfiscus Spike

Nov 19, 2013
    Kenton County
    Looks like hot tub wiring, should work great.