1990 bear whitetail 2

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by new guy, Aug 1, 2012.

1. new guy

new guy Banned

Jun 30, 2011
    deep in the mountains
    acquired a 1990 model Bear whitetail 2..i don't bow hunt much so i don't like investing a lot of money into it...it is in perfect shape and seems to shoot good. shoots better than my oneida eagle...did anyone own one of these back in the day? were they top middle or bottom line for their time. thanks

Attached Files:

2. uk_blue

uk_blue Fawn

Aug 11, 2010
    Barren Co.
    I had one of those. I got is as a used bow when I was in high school. It shot pretty good for teh price and I placed in a few archery shoots and killed a couple deer with it. Main thing is I had a lot of fun shooting it.

3. B Hicks

B Hicks 12 pointer

Sep 29, 2006
    Lancaster, KY
    I had the bear whitetail and the bear whitetail II... Could shoot the "m" out of a marlboro pack at 15 yards.

4. rather-b-huntn

rather-b-huntn 10 pointer

Still got one just like it. Got it at KMART. Mom would drag us kids with her shopping, me and brother would head straight to the outdoor section as soon as we got thru the doors. Drooled over it for a couple months then low and behold I got it for my 12th birthday. Man I was excited.

5. new guy

new guy Banned

Jun 30, 2011
    deep in the mountains
    i remember the bear bows being popular back in the day...i only have 1 arrow from last year. about to go to walmart and see if they have any archery stuff out yet

6. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    I had one in High school too, not the best bow but it done the job. It would be good to use it to bow fish with.

7. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Yep ,sure did.Kill a deer as good and dead as any bow out there

8. B Hicks

B Hicks 12 pointer

Sep 29, 2006
    Lancaster, KY
    The bear whitetail II and a Myles Keller Legend Magnum I had killed alot of stuff...

9. new guy

new guy Banned

Jun 30, 2011
    deep in the mountains
    my uncle gave it to me. sounds like a lot of ppl, my uncle included, started out with these bows and had good luck with them. hopefully i can continue the WT2 tradition on a deer or terke. cool to see a bow 22 years old sil function properly

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  10. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    I have a PSE Phaser2 that is from the early 80's still shoots good.
    Never had the wt2 but owned a Bear pro hunter that was a real shooter.

11. BR1

BR1 8 pointer

Apr 8, 2012
    I have 3 Bear Whitetail Hunters,3 or 4 old PSE bows and an Alpine youth bow that I have aquired through trades and people giving them to me. I don't shoot them and the PSE's will need a little work but they all shoot. I'd be happy to donate these to some youth if anyone Knows of or has a club for youth's that could use them.

12. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    My dad still has and still hunts with his old bear bow,I think it is a polar 2. I'm not sure when he got it but it is pretty darned old,looks like something complicated with all the pulleys and cables on it,it still shoots pretty good and quiet to.

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I began bow hunting with a Bear Whitetail II a friend sold me for $20. Very similar to this bow. Used it about 5 years and sold it for $40. I always thought it shot well out to about 20-25 yards. After that I got a lot of drop. It didn't really have any let off and that was the most noticeable difference to me in comparing to our newer bows. Also saw the Myles Keller mentioned. I used that bow until my dad gave me his Matthews two years ago when he could no longer pull it. I still shoot it a lot. It is very fast for an older bow. Way ahead of it's time.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  14. new guy

new guy Banned

Jun 30, 2011
    deep in the mountains

i aint much of a shot after 25 yards anyways, lol..now i can at least blame it on the bow

15. dxtsniper

dxtsniper 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Turn around!
    Used to do the same thing at Kmart bud. Man I payed off a lot of fishing tackle on law a way there with grass cutting jobs when I was young.
    The bear WT2 was also my first real compound bow. Bought it at a yard sale when I was 15 and had a badly broken leg and used to shoot out of a folding chair, then hobble on my crutches to the target to pull arrows. A buddy bought one to get into archery a couple years ago and after shooting his a few times I realized they are much better as a memory. Heavy, loud as a 410 and vibrate like a tuning fork at the shot. They still have a place in my heart though, along with kwicky quivers.

16. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

My Dad has one of these, I doubt it has been shot in 20 years and that brings up a question. I myself have an Indian compound I bought around 1980 and I haven't shot in in a few years. Before I shoot it this year I am going to put a new string on it and probably do the same for Dads bow. My question is this, should I be worried about the Cables on these bows?

17. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

My first bow ever was a Bear Whitetail Hunter. Shot at and missed my first deer ever with it. The next year I got an old Pearson and killed several deer with it. Then I traded it for a newer Pearson complete with the oval cams. I hunted with it for 9 years and finally broke down and bought a Parker to hunt with back in 2008.

18. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

You should be okay as long as the plastic hasn't dry rotted or come off of the cables. If that has happened then rust is a probability.

19. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Never had a Whitetail but I thought my Bear LTD was really cool in the late 80s.

[​IMG]

20. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

Thanks jayder85, I shot my very first Deer with that bow and I have alway kept it in the case in the house. My brother and I have had sometype of Bow ever since we were about 6-7 but I just don't keep up with all the Archery stuff. We just like to shoot.