150 gr 30-06 bullet trajectory

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by gobblergetter, Dec 30, 2009.

1. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    Does anyone have a link to a site where i can enter the model and bullet and it will show me the trajectory of that bullet if sited in at say 50 yards or 100 yards. When I was in college there was a site like this but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the net.

OR if anyone can tell me what a Remington core lokt 150 grain bullet will do (flight trajectory) out to say 300 if sited in 2 inches high at 50 yds. I would appreciate any help you can give.

2. You might look at the remington website... I know there used to be a link or page in the site that would give you the trajectories of bullets.

3. Ditto or you can type in ballistic calculator. Wichester has one for every factory loaded winchester ammo

4. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    Remington's trajectory charts are unavailable (at least for now.) They just recently reworked the website.

5. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    Wow. What an interesting question.

Trajectory has a lot to do with a lot of things. Barrel length, bore diameter, chamber tolerance, throat, temperature and a whole lot of other stuff.

The only way to ever know the trajectory of a given round in a given rifle is to test it in the conditions in which you intend to use it. I had a Ruger 77V in 243 that was the perfect groundhog gun. At 80-90 degrees with my very specific handloads, it was capable (if I were capable) of putting three shots in a dime at 250 yards. If I didn't clean the rifle perfectly, the groups opened up. In colder weather, it would get a little wider. I never hunted when it was over 90 because well, it was above 90.

The way I found out what the rifle could do was to try it. There are some very general rules that most reloading books or ammo tables will provide and they are accurate to a point. If it's minute of deer you want, those tables are probably pretty close and will probably serve you well. I've found that if I zero my 30/06 about an inch and a half high at 100 and I can get a really steady rest, I can probably hit a lung sized target to about 300 yards by holding slightly high. That's because I've been shooting the same rifle since 1980.

The real answer is to wring out your rifle and learn what it can do. The tables aren't too bad, but the only way to know for sure is to burn gunpowder. That's both the good news and the bad news. It takes a fair amount of time, effort and money, which is sort of bad. You get to shoot old loudenboomer a bunch which is good news.

The long and short of it is that if you don't want to do the work, limit your shots to 100 yards (easy to do in Kentucky), shoot bambi and dine well on the proceeds of your efforts.

Ain't it a great sport? There's something for everyone who wants to play.

6. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    Thanks for all your help. Please keep it coming as I have still not found what I'm looking for.

I've checked their sites and searched but haven't found what I'm looking for. There used to be a site that had a program that you could enter gun, bullet, and "site in" yards and it would give you a line graph out to that guns capable distance.

Now, daking-I by no means am going to take these charts as 100% accurate. I've shot some but have no available places to practice shooting 300 yards beleive it or not so I was curious as to this site I'm referring to.

Surely there is something. What do guys do that shoot 700+ yds do? They surely don't have a place to do that kind of target practice. Or do they?:confused: I watched Bob Foulkrod (sp) shoot a goat so far away he (or the viewers of the show) could barely see it. How in the world does he know what his gun will do at that range? There has to be some sort of site that helps give a "ball park" trajectory.

7. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman 6 pointer

Dec 20, 2003
    Caneyville, Ky, USA.
  8. I phone has a ballistics app

9. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    Its all about the gun, the load and the hands that is shooting......you can go to any ballistic chart you want to, yea you could get an idea, but you will never know what you gun will do at those ranges until you shoot it and shoot it......way to many varibles to only depend on a projection chart.

I shoot a 7mm mag out to 425, but it took hundreds of dollars and hours to find the load the gun liked...ballistic chart says over a 2 foot drop, the accual drop is 4 inches dead nut at 250.......but if I bought that same gun today using the same bullet, scope, I bet it would not shoot the same.

I have seen the shots you refer to, I have seen the further, but these guys put in the shooting, they know the math for wind direction, heat humitity...ect, they know the guns limits like the back of their hand, and that did not come from any chart........50 to 200 your chances are good, beyond that a chart is a shot in the dark.

10. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    I've looked at the Remington chart several times b/c I shoot 150gr core loct -06. As best I can remember 0 at 200 is -7 at 300. Thats all I can remember off the top of my head. But that is by no means a guarantee for all rifles shooting that load, just good a starting point for reference. Need alot of range time to figure a load out...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  11. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    What you've already been told is quite good and there is more (and here is the "rub") while trajectory is a constant (mostly IF you take elevation, temp etc........As gravity IS aa constant..into the mix) ...........wind drift on the other hand is by far the hardest thing to factor, it's NEVER a constant and while it may be "4mph where YOU are" it could be 15 mph where the target is 500 + yards away....(not to mention those nasty gusts).....

So the "short answer" is yes, there are tables, etc. to "give you SOME idea" of what happens out past 300 yards, but honestly that is merely a starting point and is not the "be all end all" by a very long shot...

12. steelslinger

steelslinger 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2003
    Union County, KY, USA.
    Remington's Shoot program gave me 2.09" high @ 50 yards is zeroed in @ 300 yards for the Remington 150gr core lokt in 30/06

13. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    If you can't find anything else, pick up a reloading manual. They have trajectory tables in the back listed by ballistic coefficient.

14. DirtMover

DirtMover 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2009
    Warren County
    Winchester has a great program on there website that plots trajectory.

15. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    For all practical puroses...

bullet drop is calculabel if you know : bullet weight, actual muzzle velocity, bullet's ballistic coefficient, temperature, elevation above sea level, barometric pressure and humidity. Bullet flight is all about physics and can be accurately determined. Wind also plays a part in bullet drop to a smaller degree, but there is ,nevertheless a vertical component to wind. A bullet fired from a right hand twist barrel will hit higher in a wind that's blowing from right to left than one fired in a left to right wind...but forget about that unless you are shooting Benchrest..it's a small factor in terms of bullet drop in a hunting situation, as is a head or tail wind, unless it's a very heavy wind at really long range...wind drift is a whole nother story though.:eek:
    In terms of what I believe you are asking, Based on a known velocity of 2910fps, using 150gr rem core-lokt bullet with a b.c. of .314, temp of 80, humidity 65%, altitude-750ft, pressure-29.90hg and a scope height above bore centerline of 1.5 inches.....a 2.00in high @50yrd sight in will put you dead on again @298 yards.

Now lets change temp to 35degrees . Now using your same zero, you're .73" low @ 300. The reason is colder air is more dense and offers more drag. All of this is relative only to external ballistics and does not account for how different conditions will affect your gun...and they do have an affect on it. The colder denser air actually changes the frequency the barrel vibrates at. This affects where the gun is actually pointed when the bullets exits the muzzle, as does actual velocity and it variations. That's why you should shoot your gun and work up loads in as near hunting/shooting conditions as possible and not during warmer months. The differences can be big or small. OK, I'm done now.--Mike Ezell

16. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    Thanks. This is the "ball park" answer I was looking for. Wonder what it does in between? I will check Remington's shoot program. Thanks again.

17. biggun

biggun 8 pointer

Sep 18, 2007
    If zeroed at 200 it should drop around 2 inches. A zero for me at 200 is about 2 inches high at 100. Is that a good ballpark?