Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: Best time of day to hunt coyote? Best time to use which calls?

Default Best time of day to hunt coyote? Best time to use which calls?

I have just started hunting coyotes. LOVE IT!! Tons of questions, but to start with, what is the best time of day to set up and start calling? Got a primos ecall. What calls (rabbit distress, woodpecker in distress, howl, greeting call etc.. work best at what time of day? Any help would be great. I am hunting open pasture, rolling hills some small thickets. (Boyle County). Thanks.

Early in the morning or late in the evening is best now but as it gets colder and the breeding season neers all day long and any distress call will work it all depends on how much they have herd already from other hunters.

Time of day, anytime you can get out, serilously. I happen to prefer high pitched sounds such as wood pecker or baby cottontail. You can use any sound any time of day. Keep those open fields at your back and call the woods edges. From a fencerow is a very good setup. You can pull them to the edge for a look see. Jimmie

Thanks for the help. Tried Cottontail distress yesterday from 5:00 to dark. Never saw anything. Was wondering about the woodpecker distress. I spend a lot of time out doors, can't say that I have ever heard a woodpecker in distress. Wondering if that is a natural sound to a coyote in this area?

TRIPS, I am by no means any kind of expert on coyotes and have only killed two but I hunt a small place overrun with yotes. I have tried and tried different distress calls over about a year and a half and came out with no results. About a month ago I was walking along with a bow and hear a yote howl. I get to within 60 yards and call him in with my mouth and a squeaking noise only. I laid the smackdown on that dude. I know they have heard my primos caller (and mouth calls) at different times. I even spread the usage out over a long time so they did not become used to a sound. Sometimes I think a completely different sound is needed and one that may not be quite that natural. Try the woodpecker but go easy on it. What do you guys think?
    Steven Wright: "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."

William Faulkner: "He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary."

Ive killed more with a Jack rabbit in dis than any thing.

Like I said, high pitched sounds such as baby cottontail and wood pecker distress. A buddy I have promised a call has repeatedly told me as long as it is tuned to that high pitched bird sound you make ;-) I have called in more with that distress sound than any other. Whether it carries better or what , I don't know , but it works. Another excellent sound to use is any canine in distress,, mainly for the older animals. I use grey fox distress done on a mouth call a lot if not blowing prey sounds. And thinking on it hte grey fox distress sound has a few of those high pitched squeals mixed in there with all that growling.

And thinking you are giving them something they have not heard with jackrabbit sounds? It is not that much diferent in pitch and sound than fawn distress when you think about it. Fawn distress being a bit more drawn out sound. Jimmie

Thread Information