Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: wma management

Default wma management

I would like to know why when I go to some wma's they have food plots for wildlife and others dont? Seams to me taylorsville lake has alot of places for plots or a dove field or something. I have hunted taylorsville pretty regular for the last 3 years and have yet to see anything planted. Just wondering why?

Taylorsville had an awesome dove field in 09 at Goodnight Bridge, complete with a fake power line. This year the spring floods caused the bottoms to be under water for the entire planting season, ruining the chances of getting a dove field in, not to mention other plans that were in the works.....CORN. Give the area manager at Taylorsville a chance, he has made huge leaps in the right direction in a short time. Also, he has the public hunting opportunity as a first priority - just look at the access improvments he has made, Palmer Rd., River Rd. Taylorsville has awesome potential. I can't wait to see what the future holds, given time and cooperative weather.
    Some hunt to survive.....Others survive to hunt.

Thumbs up

TWMA managers must be doing something right. According to the Telechek deer harvest report , (25) bucks and (60) does have been harvested by archery only hunters. Pretty Dang good deer huntin' for public property.

Quote Originally Posted by deepfryum View Post
    I would like to know why when I go to some wma's they have food plots for wildlife and others dont? Seams to me taylorsville lake has alot of places for plots or a dove field or something. I have hunted taylorsville pretty regular for the last 3 years and have yet to see anything planted. Just wondering why?
    Food plots aren't always the "Answer" to good wildlife management. It is well perceived by the public to see them but probably not the best practice on some WMA's. Taylorsville has a great mix of hardwoods, cedars, scrub/shrub, and weedy tall grass fields. Everything a deer could ever need, lot's of quality "edge" which is the most important component to good deer habitat.
    Any day outdoors is a good day...

Official Measurer B&C and P&Y

Nikon D300, D7000 Nikon 200-400 VR tele-zoom lens for wildlife.

Visit my photo gallery:

http://joelacefield.com

I was not saying that they did not have alot of deer. I seen a ton of deer out there and some good bucks at that.
    I had no idea of the dove feild last year. From all the places I have hunted so far just have not seen anything done. Guess I did not look hard enough. I love hunting there. I even put in for the doe hunt this year and got drawn. Gonna be a blast shootin some does with a bunch of friends.

Thread Information