Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11-87 gas ports

Default 11-87 gas ports

I own a 11-87 supermag and absolutly love the gun. Last duck season during extreamly cold weather the gun started cycling poorly. After cleaning the gun and finding nothing a miss and a good cleaning and a lite oiling (really lite) I reassmbled the gun with the same results.. No change in shells or anything. Only happens during really cold temps. A fella was telling me that i should drill out the exhuast ports. Never heard of this. Havn't googled it or anything yet, just wondering what all the people on here thought about this. Thanks.

You need a new spring in the tube under the butt stock they get week and when they get cold they dont have enough pressure to cycle rite. Dont drill out the gas ports if it worked great before why would the holes need to be bigger you can clean them with a torch tip cleaner just dont open them up bigger or you will need a new barrel. Sure cycle makes a kit that is stanless steel to elimenate this problem.

Cycle poorly how? Failed to eject or failed to feed, failed to fully chamber?
    "Screw the animals, they had just as long to evolve and invent rifles but they didn't....we win"

You can take metal out of the ports easily, but it's kinda hard to put it back. See a gunsmith is my advice.--Mike Ezell

Quote Originally Posted by killinmammals View Post
    Cycle poorly how? Failed to eject or failed to feed, failed to fully chamber?
    Failed to feed, and it seems to always be the third shell.

Quote Originally Posted by feetdownKY View Post
    Failed to feed, and it seems to always be the third shell.
    If that PROVES true, it's not gas system related. Try streching the magazine spring out and putting it back together. If that takes care of it, replace the mag spring. If not, well, see a gunsmith.---Mike Ezell;gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    If that PROVES true, it's not gas system related. Try streching the magazine spring out and putting it back together. If that takes care of it, replace the mag spring. If not, well, see a gunsmith.---Mike Ezell;gunsmith
    What he said.
    'But I would rather have it bent and dull and know I had to put it on the grindstone again and hammer it into shape and put a whetstone to it, and know that I had something to write about, than to have it bright and shining and nothing to say, or smooth and well-oiled in the closet, but unused.
    E. Hemingway

You know, if you put spaghetti sauce on on your ramen noodles, it tastes just like broken dreams and disappointment.
    My college son

Replaced mag spring last year. Its not always the third but seems more times than not its the third. Think i am going to replace the gas seal and replace spring in stock.

On the Bonnie, Bonnie Banks of Town Branch Creek

I would not try drilling out the gas ports. Since this only happens in extremely cold weather, I suspect it's a viscosity issue with your oil. If you know you will be shooting in extremely cold weather, thoroughly clean the gun beforehand of all oil, and then "lube" with Militec-1 (a dry lube). You can go back to lightly lubing with a traditional oil when it warms up.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it."

"It behooves every man who values liberty of conscience for himself, to resist invasions of it in the case of others: or their case may, by change of circumstances, become his own."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Government is ... force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master..."
    George Washington

If you keep the gun clean and don't cake on oil then oil won't be a problem. To me it sounds like a spring like Mike said
    "Screw the animals, they had just as long to evolve and invent rifles but they didn't....we win"

Thread Information