Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good food plot for kentucky deer

Default Good food plot for kentucky deer

Im wantin to do a food plot this summer in hopes of having some growth in time for next deer season. What do you all suggest works best for deer in kentucky? I was thinking about wheat, brassicas, or turnips. and are there any good commercial products or should i go the other route? thanks a lot guys

Clover works great if you can get a good stand of it because it will come back..........I have had the best of luck with soy beans hands down!
    "Let him go so he can grow"

Smack in the middle of the island chopping through this jungle

I would agree if you are wanting to draw deer soy beans or austrian winter peas can be planted in spring and summer also and deer love them. As far as the commercial mixes you can get online and find out what they have in them and buy your seed and mix your own a whole lot cheaper.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. - - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks guys. I am not gonna be able to start planting anything until our hay is cut which should be in june, maybe not until late june. I am just trying to do a 1/2 acre since its my first food plot. you think soy beans would turn out OK if they were planted around the first week of july or is that too late? I really want something the deer might hit during this coming gun season, but thats probably wishful thinking

Smack in the middle of the island chopping through this jungle

It all depends on how dry you are this summer have heard of guys holding out planting there beans until later. There are all sorts of stuff that grows pretty fast that can be planted for dry climates that i would say you could plant in late june or july problem is most everything needs a few rains on it when it is getting established and here in western ky we are usually hot and dry this time of year. If you could get those late beans started in july you would have some excellent tender forage on into fall just depends on the weather though.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. - - Ernest Hemingway

Soy Beans are a good choice. Certain Soybean varieties are bred to have high drought tolerances so they can be grown in dry areas of the country. Talk to your local seed dealer and see what they have to say. Personally, I would go with Eagle Soybeans. Problem is, they are all gone, but you might wanna look into it next year.

i appreciate the help guys. thanks

Go to your local retail store and ask them to save the beans they sweep up off the floor. They come up just the same as the 40 dollar a bag beans you buy.. And there free
    Bowhunter19

http://www.specialtyseed.com/

All sorts of seeds sold here by this guy. He is a sponsor on duckhunter.net though I have never done business with him. I did notice he had some varities of forage soy beans.

I just got through planting some of the Quail blend that was formulated by Quail Unlimited and KDFWR this past weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPete View Post
    Ahh yes, the great white hunter with a "holier than thou" attitude.... Downing a man for hunting over bait while his stand hangs in a white oak with it raining acorns.......
    Wait, what?

Well, a lot of people call me crazy for what I am about to say, so I will explain why it works as I go along! This is my method of attracting and holding deer in an area when we are bow hunting early in the season.

I have noticed through trial and error and observation over the last 10 years that deer feed on soybeans the best when the beans are in the tender early growth stages. This is from the time they come out of the crook to about a month of growth.

Most people that hunt deer in my area is not real concerned about supplying food for the deer, just an attracting food source to hold them on the property during the hunting season. So we plant soybeans in the FALL of the year, giving the deer a tender food source until the frost kills the beans. We try to plant around the middle of Aug to the first part of Sept with great feeding habits on the plots from the middle of Sept until a hard killing frost is early winter. The deer will gather at this food plot because in most areas, this is the only tender growth as most other plants (corn, spring soybeans, exc..) are finishing their production stages and drying up.

Thread Information