Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: Advice for Food Plot in Wooded Area

Default Advice for Food Plot in Wooded Area

I only have woods to hunt, I would like to put out a food plot in the most open are of woods I have. What is a good seed to plant and that will grow with min sunlight, also that deer will come to. Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images  

i have used throw and growfor two years. it grows well. deer and turkeys seem to like it.

do you disc the ground, cut the grass and or clear the area? once you throw the seed on do you try to bury it 3/16" or so? Thanks for your help!!

spray to kill weeds and anything else trying to grow that you dont want competeing in your plot. disc the ground a good bit to get it broke up alot then lime and fertilize as needed. next drag to get a good seed bed then broadcast seed and drag again and pray for rain. for your first question id start with clover certain kinds of it require around 5 hours of sunlight i believe. im in the same boat you are using wooded openings ive been using the qdma forums there is alot of good advice there. good luck!

I planted clover in a small opening last year. I just burned off the grass and broadcast clover in Feb. It came up good but is too small to get ahead of the deer. It is about 100' on each side.

Default Wood Plot

I just put out my wood plot today. I have a road bed that I cleared on a ridge top that is about 300 yrds long. It "T's" into another ridge. Every year I break up the soil in the road bed and plant it in oats and turnips. I use a box blade and clean all of the leaves, sticks, and limbs off of the other ridge. I break it up also and plant oats or milo on it. The road bed grows a pretty good stand of oats but the ridge only gets a little growth before the trees shade it out. The turkeys love the fresh broken ground. They will make dust holes all over it. The deer love the oats in the fall and the nice green path is an awesom place for turkeys to strut.
    What this world needs, is a few more rednecks.

Dutch clover does ok in about 4-6 hours of sunlight, but if it's no sunlight, not much is going to grow.
    ‎“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
    ― Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac

Thread Information