Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor furnance

Default Outdoor furnance

We are going to start building a house this spring and I was looking into heating with an outdoor furnance. I know a few people who have a wood burning furnance and like it pretty good. I was looking into a corn burning stove and was wanting to use it to heat the hot water as well. Just looking for advice and if anyone on here has one, where to find them some what locally, and just general advice. thanks.

My bricklayer just purchased an outside wood burner and is very dissatisfied with it. He got a big one to heat his garage and house with and has to fill it 3 times a day. I'd always heard good things about them and mentioned that something or a setting may be wrong with it. He gave around $11,000.00 for it and the heaters that go in his garage and is will take a beating on it to get rid of it.
    The reasons it didn't get built are: "Lack of leadership, lack of vision, petty self-interest and pure ignorance".

All the animals, birds, and fish will live in fear of you.
    They are all placed under your power. Now you can eat them, as well as green plants; I give them all to you as food. Genesis 9:2-3.

To heat that much area you'd have to put some wood to it... I have a central boiler and love it. Got the base model that will heat up to 2000 sq ft. My house is about 1800 and so far I've managed to keep my electric bill below 170 bucks. Not to bad. I'm not heating my water yet either. Got to get that hooked up soon. From what I've seen in two years with it, It's well worth the money. But you have to have a good wood supply so If you don't wanna buy it you better enjoy cutting it. As of now it's a family work day every week for us and we enjoy the time outside together. Put in about 4 hrs yesterday afternoon. Good for the kids!

Be careful who you buy from. My buddy just got a letter from the EPA wanting to come out and set up a "pollution measuring device" on his. It seems that they are trying to make him buy a permit to burn wood & pay the EPA every year for that priviledge. They also want to tax him on how much wood he cuts/burns. He bought his straight from the mfg. What a bunch of BS !!
    I eat,sleep,ride,talk,breathe,dream,live and love my Cookers !

I installed a Shaver outdoor wood furnace last year and heat split zone 3500 sq feet. It's 72 inside today.

The unit I purchased is very simple in design, boiler plate (not stainless) will heat water...I don't have mine hooked up yet....

My unit has a 54" long wood box so I cut wood around 48" long...
    my wood cut time is minimum...I can cut 2 weeks of wood in a few hours.
    A 10 to 12" log...3-4' long is a heavy piece of wood and will burn many hours.

Check into the unit you purchase as there is a $1500 tax credin going on w/ some rt now.

I love ours and can't imagine not having it now. My LP bill was $45 this year, which is rental on the tank.
    They can take my bow when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!

Quote Originally Posted by C.L.Button View Post
    Be careful who you buy from. My buddy just got a letter from the EPA wanting to come out and set up a "pollution measuring device" on his. It seems that they are trying to make him buy a permit to burn wood & pay the EPA every year for that priviledge. They also want to tax him on how much wood he cuts/burns. He bought his straight from the mfg. What a bunch of BS !!
    I was wondering if the EPA and other hippies would get their foot into this. I was planning on maybe working for the EPA one day...but I am rethinking that very seriously
    "Screw the animals, they had just as long to evolve and invent rifles but they didn't....we win"

Quote Originally Posted by C.L.Button View Post
    He sure must be planning on burning a lot of wood to warrent that I would think.

CL if possable could you get a copy of that letter ? I sure would like to see it along with a lot of others I am sure. I was just this morning talking with my insurance agent about installing a pellet stove and the amount my homeowners insurance may go up. He is interested in one of those outdoor wood burners himself. Said he looks for more and more people going to the stoves and outdoor furnaces simply to save on natural gas and electric cost.

BTW...He told me as long as the pellet stove was installed as per manufactures spec's, with 18 inches of fireproof flooring around 3 sides with a protective back wall cover my rate wouldn't go up over what it is with the unvented gas log fireplace we have now.
    Last edited by Duster; 02-15-2010 at 03:55 PM.
    Some people should thank their lucky stars that everything I wish for does not come true

The whole EPA thing is new to me. Never heard of that one.....
    Is he inside a residential area?

Here's the tax credit info....from what I read, not all are elligable.

http://www.outdoor-wood-furnace-boiler.com/
    They can take my bow when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!

Quote Originally Posted by Duster View Post
    He sure must be planning on burning a lot of wood to warrent that I would think.

CL if possable could you get a copy of that letter ? I sure would like to see it along with a lot of others I am sure. I was just this morning talking with my insurance agent about installing a pellet stove and the amount my homeowners insurance may go up. He is interested in one of those outdoor wood burners himself. Said he looks for more and more people going to the stoves and outdoor furnaces simply to save on natural gas and electric cost.

BTW...He told me as long as the pellet stove was installed as per manufactures spec's, with 18 inches of fireproof flooring around 3 sides with a protective back wall cover my rate wouldn't go up over what it is with the unvented gas log fireplace we have now.
    I'll ask him for it. Hopefully he has not trashed it.
    I eat,sleep,ride,talk,breathe,dream,live and love my Cookers !

I just built a house this year and moved in in july. I had always had a wood stove in the house but decided I would get an outdoor wood furnace for my new house to keep down on the dust in the house. I bought a Hardy Heater. I love it. On an average day I just fill it up once. When it gets cold ( highs in the 20s ") I fill it twice. It does take a fair amount of wood, but I enjoy cutting wood. My house is only 1600 sf with a full basement that I heat too. The thing I like so much is it stays the same temp in the house all the time. I have a buddy that has the same size house as me. Back in the summer our electric bills were pretty much the same. This months bill for his was $197. Mine was $96. Same electric company. The heater I bought cost about $7500 installed. Over time it will pay for itself.

Thread Information