Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: Catching minnows in the winter?

Default Catching minnows in the winter?

Whats the secret? I went out today to gunpowder creek and tried unsuccessfully to trap some minnows for sauger fishing.....can anyone explain the process to me for catching minnows in the wintertime on our creeks???

Thanks
    Bill
    Share our sport, take a deer bowhunting.

I wish I could help you! I set my trap 2 days ago and did'nt catch anything either. My Uncle says you have to seign them and beat all the brush up and disturb all the rocks, he says they hibernate.I bought 4 dozen yesterday morning and they started dying right off, or at least I thought they were.Many went belly up but when I would put them in my hand to try n hook em, they flipped n flopped and ended up in the bottom of the boat! I think my warm hand brought em back.I wanted some nice 4 inch sucker minnows for walleye n sauger but think I will have to keep buying crappie minnows for a while at least. If you have any luck catching any please post how you did it. Good luck!
    Last edited by grouser68; 01-20-2010 at 08:58 PM.

there has got to be guys on here that trap but arent spilling the beans.... Well I will keep at it until I hit paydirt, hopefully the deep parts of the creek will payoff, they have got to eat sometime.
    Share our sport, take a deer bowhunting.

I used to have good luck catching them under low water bridges this time of year. I'd stick my minner basket in the water. then try to cover it somewhat with sticks and twigs, and i'd use styrofoam for the bait. Take a styrofoam cup and break it into little pieces, not so small though that they wash out of your basket. Usually worked pretty good to catch some. Been a while since i've done this, but it used to work pretty good. Wouldn't catch them like you do in the summer, but would catch enough to go fishing with.
    If you want to be invisible in the woods..sit still and be quiet.

Place your minnow traps in some deeper pools that are not in danger of freezing up for one thing but this time of year all the minnows school up and if you find which holes they are using then the rest should be easy, and I am referring to the sucker minnows mainly. We always just used plain white bread for bait.

Thread Information