Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: Standard IR Flash vs Black IR Flash

Default Standard IR Flash vs Black IR Flash

I've been reading around on the internet about IR cameras, due to the fact that I was not particulally happy about the red glow that my new Moultrie I40 gives off. It appears only the high priced cameras like reconyx has a black IR flash. Moultrie also has the I45 and I65 that I think are low glow red IR flashes.

I also found that some claim that you can convert the red glow flash to a black flash.

Has anyone else researched this and can provide any input on this?

Scisms' If it werer easy to change red glow to black IR then all the manufacturers would be doing it. It is possible to change out the LED's for different wavelength led's but you end up with a very poor performing camera. There is more to it than just the LED's. Some of the manufacturers are palying with different tinting on the LED array's to give the appearance of black flash or nearly black flash. To my knowledge, there is still only 1 company that has true black flash, reconyx, and they are very expensive. I've also been told that some people can see the flash on these.... Don't knbow for certain, they're too rich for my blood.
    ‎“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
    ― Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac

There are several different types of avoidance threats that cause animals to spook from a camera setup. The first is just the physical presence of something foreign placed on a tree in the area. The second is the scent that is most often left behind on the camera and by the camera owner being in the area. Next comes the avoidance that is associated with flash. The white flash will spook the animals for two reasons, the flash its self and the noise caused when the strobe fires. The red flash cameras also have probably more of an avoidance problem due to the longevity of the flash its self. The low glow flash cameras have reduced the flash spook by some degree by reducing the amount of red light seen and the duration of the flash. The successful black flash cameras have proven to be by far the answer to the flash problem as long as the physical and smell issues are minimized. The three successful black flash cameras currently available are the Reconyx (three years experience) Buckeye Three years this year experience) and Uway (new this year but has passed all the black flash tests so far). Coming on strong will be Moultrie this year with the introduction of their low visibility flash (short duration) and Predator cams dragon (very low glow laser IR) flash.
    Recon viper (2010 release) may also be a contender after having to miss out being released last year.

You could also buy one of these Black Flash XendIR units and cover up the red ones on your Moultrie with tape.

http://www.uwayoutdoors.com/news_view3.php
    Last edited by kyarcher; 01-21-2010 at 08:17 PM.
    ~America~ Born July 4th,1776- Died, Election Day 2008

Quote Originally Posted by kyarcher View Post
    You could also buy one of these Black Flash XendIR units and cover up the red ones on your Moultrie with tape.

http://www.uwayoutdoors.com/news_view3.php

Ky,

I saw this this morning... Pretty cool:

http://www.chasingame.com/index.php?...ash_Conversion

Those are pretty cool, but I can't find a cost. I bet it's high.

Quote Originally Posted by scsims View Post
    Those are pretty cool, but I can't find a cost. I bet it's high.
    Not as bad as I expected. I did a search using "xendir-b" and found they are $139.95 but no place had them in stock. I plan to buy a couple before the coming season.
    ~America~ Born July 4th,1776- Died, Election Day 2008

Thread Information