Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150 gr 30-06 bullet trajectory

Default 150 gr 30-06 bullet trajectory

Does anyone have a link to a site where i can enter the model and bullet and it will show me the trajectory of that bullet if sited in at say 50 yards or 100 yards. When I was in college there was a site like this but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the net.

OR if anyone can tell me what a Remington core lokt 150 grain bullet will do (flight trajectory) out to say 300 if sited in 2 inches high at 50 yds. I would appreciate any help you can give.

You might look at the remington website... I know there used to be a link or page in the site that would give you the trajectories of bullets.
    Evidence does indicate that poor government decisions in use of national resources and financing of government programs in a misguided fashion can cause severe economic problems. - John L. Mikesell

Quote Originally Posted by wkyoutdoorsman View Post
    You might look at the remington website... I know there used to be a link or page in the site that would give you the trajectories of bullets.
    Ditto or you can type in ballistic calculator. Wichester has one for every factory loaded winchester ammo
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Remington's trajectory charts are unavailable (at least for now.) They just recently reworked the website.

Wow. What an interesting question.

Trajectory has a lot to do with a lot of things. Barrel length, bore diameter, chamber tolerance, throat, temperature and a whole lot of other stuff.

The only way to ever know the trajectory of a given round in a given rifle is to test it in the conditions in which you intend to use it. I had a Ruger 77V in 243 that was the perfect groundhog gun. At 80-90 degrees with my very specific handloads, it was capable (if I were capable) of putting three shots in a dime at 250 yards. If I didn't clean the rifle perfectly, the groups opened up. In colder weather, it would get a little wider. I never hunted when it was over 90 because well, it was above 90.

The way I found out what the rifle could do was to try it. There are some very general rules that most reloading books or ammo tables will provide and they are accurate to a point. If it's minute of deer you want, those tables are probably pretty close and will probably serve you well. I've found that if I zero my 30/06 about an inch and a half high at 100 and I can get a really steady rest, I can probably hit a lung sized target to about 300 yards by holding slightly high. That's because I've been shooting the same rifle since 1980.

The real answer is to wring out your rifle and learn what it can do. The tables aren't too bad, but the only way to know for sure is to burn gunpowder. That's both the good news and the bad news. It takes a fair amount of time, effort and money, which is sort of bad. You get to shoot old loudenboomer a bunch which is good news.

The long and short of it is that if you don't want to do the work, limit your shots to 100 yards (easy to do in Kentucky), shoot bambi and dine well on the proceeds of your efforts.

Ain't it a great sport? There's something for everyone who wants to play.
    "Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs.''
    Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by wkyoutdoorsman View Post
    Thanks for all your help. Please keep it coming as I have still not found what I'm looking for.

I've checked their sites and searched but haven't found what I'm looking for. There used to be a site that had a program that you could enter gun, bullet, and "site in" yards and it would give you a line graph out to that guns capable distance.

Now, daking-I by no means am going to take these charts as 100% accurate. I've shot some but have no available places to practice shooting 300 yards beleive it or not so I was curious as to this site I'm referring to.

Surely there is something. What do guys do that shoot 700+ yds do? They surely don't have a place to do that kind of target practice. Or do they? I watched Bob Foulkrod (sp) shoot a goat so far away he (or the viewers of the show) could barely see it. How in the world does he know what his gun will do at that range? There has to be some sort of site that helps give a "ball park" trajectory.

Do a search for Point Blank ballistics calculator and download it. It works great, just enter your load information and it does the rest. Better yet, here you go http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com...lank-software/

I phone has a ballistics app
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gobblergetter View Post
    Thanks for all your help. Please keep it coming as I have still not found what I'm looking for.

I've checked their sites and searched but haven't found what I'm looking for. There used to be a site that had a program that you could enter gun, bullet, and "site in" yards and it would give you a line graph out to that guns capable distance.

Now, daking-I by no means am going to take these charts as 100% accurate. I've shot some but have no available places to practice shooting 300 yards beleive it or not so I was curious as to this site I'm referring to.

Surely there is something. What do guys do that shoot 700+ yds do? They surely don't have a place to do that kind of target practice. Or do they? I watched Bob Foulkrod (sp) shoot a goat so far away he (or the viewers of the show) could barely see it. How in the world does he know what his gun will do at that range? There has to be some sort of site that helps give a "ball park" trajectory.
    Its all about the gun, the load and the hands that is shooting......you can go to any ballistic chart you want to, yea you could get an idea, but you will never know what you gun will do at those ranges until you shoot it and shoot it......way to many varibles to only depend on a projection chart.

I shoot a 7mm mag out to 425, but it took hundreds of dollars and hours to find the load the gun liked...ballistic chart says over a 2 foot drop, the accual drop is 4 inches dead nut at 250.......but if I bought that same gun today using the same bullet, scope, I bet it would not shoot the same.

I have seen the shots you refer to, I have seen the further, but these guys put in the shooting, they know the math for wind direction, heat humitity...ect, they know the guns limits like the back of their hand, and that did not come from any chart........50 to 200 your chances are good, beyond that a chart is a shot in the dark.

I've looked at the Remington chart several times b/c I shoot 150gr core loct -06. As best I can remember 0 at 200 is -7 at 300. Thats all I can remember off the top of my head. But that is by no means a guarantee for all rifles shooting that load, just good a starting point for reference. Need alot of range time to figure a load out...
    Last edited by WaterDog88; 12-30-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Thread Information