Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer blind plans

Default Deer blind plans

Thanks to the guy in my deer blind question thread, I was finally able to decide on a size/layout of the blind I am wanting to build. Here are the plans, opinions are welcome! If this works out ok, I will build a larger one to over look our field that will hopefully be planted in corn/beans for next years season. (Note: This is not to scale)

Last edited by Xi Bowhunter; 11-25-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added a note
    Quote Originally Posted by High Rack View Post
    No child left behind has been a ddismal failure.

thinking of building one as well, but would need to be 3 feet or so off ground to increase viability over the rolling hay fields where i hunt. Is this designed for bow hunting (i.e. position size of the shooting windows, etc.), or for multi weapon use?

Any estimate on cost of supplies?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kissey_branch_hunter View Post
    thinking of building one as well, but would need to be 3 feet or so off ground to increase viability over the rolling hay fields where i hunt. Is this designed for bow hunting (i.e. position size of the shooting windows, etc.), or for multi weapon use?

Any estimate on cost of supplies?
    Thanks

This blind will see mostly M/L and modern firearm use, although I may hunt with my X-Bow out of it as well.

My cost is cheap because I got the plywood given to me. All I really need are some 2x4's. I have enough plywood to make 3-4 of these blinds, but all I have for the frames are 2x6 boards. I have to buy some 2x4's this weekend so I can get started on this one.

The blind I am going to build overlooking our field will be 12 ft off the ground and probably a little bigger. I am using telephone poles to elevate it.

thanks, i may steal your plans if you don't mind?

Just make sure that door is big enough to get a couch through it! lol!!

i've built a few of these things guys. for bowhunting you are gonna want to make it another 2 feet wider/deeper. you will have way too much trouble trying to draw back in a 4 foot wide space. the ones i've built that were 4 feet wide, i have to open the door up to have enough room to draw back. at these window heights, which are fine for gun hunting, are gonna require you to squat with using a bow. i like to cut out a 1 foot wide slot in the center of normal window that goes on up to 6'4". also, when you cut out the windows, make sure to cut it out in one whole piece and then use hinges (which you can get for a buck) to hang the cut out right back in the hole. this is much quieter and more convenient than just sliding them in and out. make this hinged too so you can open and close it when need be. if you are gonna use a standard door that you have laying around then you'll also wanna go ahead and make it 7 foot tall in the back and 7'2" in the front so that you don't have to cut the door down. that's plenty of slope for the rain to drain too. make sure to use shingles instead of tin for the roof. on the rainy days you'll appreciate it. just trying to add a few things that i've had to tweak on mine over the few i've built. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by kissey_branch_hunter View Post
    thanks, i may steal your plans if you don't mind?

Steal away! that is what they are there for.

Quote Originally Posted by 8&sand View Post
    Just make sure that door is big enough to get a couch through it! lol!!

I thought you said I had to leave room for a sink and stove?

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    i've built a few of these things guys. for bowhunting you are gonna want to make it another 2 feet wider/deeper. you will have way too much trouble trying to draw back in a 4 foot wide space. the ones i've built that were 4 feet wide, i have to open the door up to have enough room to draw back. at these window heights, which are fine for gun hunting, are gonna require you to squat with using a bow. i like to cut out a 1 foot wide slot in the center of normal window that goes on up to 6'4". also, when you cut out the windows, make sure to cut it out in one whole piece and then use hinges (which you can get for a buck) to hang the cut out right back in the hole. this is much quieter and more convenient than just sliding them in and out. make this hinged too so you can open and close it when need be. if you are gonna use a standard door that you have laying around then you'll also wanna go ahead and make it 7 foot tall in the back and 7'2" in the front so that you don't have to cut the door down. that's plenty of slope for the rain to drain too. make sure to use shingles instead of tin for the roof. on the rainy days you'll appreciate it. just trying to add a few things that i've had to tweak on mine over the few i've built. hope this helps.
    Thank you for the tips! I don't think I will be using this one for bowhunting, as it will be right on the ground, but I will remember your tips for the one that is going up over our field.

no problem on the tips. kisseybranchhunter asked the question about bowhunting out of it. just giving him my advice on it.

yeah, just wanted to make sure that the dimensions, etc were good for gun hunting. thanks all

P.S. i use to live in jenkins for about 6 mos.

Thread Information