Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: felon hunting question

Question felon hunting question

can a convicted felon hunt in ky. with a muzzle loader and or archery?

Quote Originally Posted by jobo View Post
    can a convicted felon hunt in ky. with a muzzle loader and or archery?
    Archery only, no muzzleloaders. If they are currently on probation, bows are prohibited from possession as a rule of parole/probation which is a state law not a federal law like the firearms possession. After they are done with probation, then they can own and hunt with archery equipment only.

I'm not sure. I would talk to LE officer or CO in person, maybe even a county attorney. I overheard a LE officer tell a convicted felon that they could use a muzzleloader due to the fact that its not required to register or background check to purchase one. I would go to the horse's mouth and ask, not put my frredom in the hands of strangers on the internet IMO
    "Now if we could just convince the government to open season on buzzards, hawks and illegal mexicans, Our country would be a better more fun place." skin_dog1

Kentucky Probation and Parole Office
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
    ― Winston Churchill

thanks for the replies,its my son and told him to contact game warden or county atty. again thanks for the input

This sounds like one of those things where you can ask 10 people and get 10 answers. ML's are not regulated as firearms but...

I'd clarify it with the County Attorney, my parole officer, and with a letter from the KDFWR. Ultimately, those are the three entities you have to answer to.
    'But I would rather have it bent and dull and know I had to put it on the grindstone again and hammer it into shape and put a whetstone to it, and know that I had something to write about, than to have it bright and shining and nothing to say, or smooth and well-oiled in the closet, but unused.
    E. Hemingway

You know, if you put spaghetti sauce on on your ramen noodles, it tastes just like broken dreams and disappointment.
    My college son

KRS 237.060 Definitions for KRS 237.060 to 237.090 and certain other sections
    The following definitions apply in KRS 237.060 to 237.090 and KRS 197.170, 218A.992, 244.125, 244.990, and
    514.110, unless the context otherwise requires:
    (1) "Handgun" means any pistol or revolver originally designed to be fired by the use of a single hand, or any other
    firearm originally designed to be fired by the use of a single hand.
    (2) "Firearm" means any weapon which will expel a projectile by the action of an explosive.
    (3) "Licensed gun dealer" means a person who has a federal firearms license and any business license required by
    a state or local government entity.
    (4) "Loaded" with respect to a firearm means:
    Rev. 6/2005

This is what it says in the hunting guide(A person convicted of a felony is prohibited from possessing or hunting with a firearm in Kentucky. The prohibition on handguns applies to those convicted after Jan. 1, 1975. The prohibition on other firearms applies to those convicted after July 15, 1995. (See KRS 527.040 for additional details.)
    A muzzle loader is by law a firearm, so no he cant be in position of one. He can use Archery equipment whether it be a compound bow or crossbow. It does not require an explosion to expel a projectile. Hope this helps

Thread Information