Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hanging Deer- Warm Weather

Default Hanging Deer- Warm Weather

I like to let my deer hang a few days before I butcher them but we are supposed to have warm temperatures all the way until Nov. 25. What is the max temperature you will let a deer hang and what are some ways to keep the deer cool besides hanging them in a walk-in fridge?

I quarter my deer up and let is sit in coolers with ice on it for 4 or 5 days draining the bloody water off daily and adding new ice when it's warm or I put in a cooler and sit in the bottom of my dads garage fridge if he doesn't already have his deer in there.

im not sure how long you can do it but mine hung in the garage for a day in the upper 50's during the day, at night it got down to the high 30's and mine is still safe to eat.. hope this helps some.

Bacteria sets in easy at 50degrees,get them in fridge or cooler as soon as possible.You don't want to mess around with taking a chance.

A daytime high more than 45 im gettin leary! In the shade if at all possible!

Quote Originally Posted by BRIAR View Post
    Bacteria sets in easy at 50degrees,get them in fridge or cooler as soon as possible.You don't want to mess around with taking a chance.
    Yep in these temps It would be hard to let one hang a day. If a person took one in the evening hunt and could get it caped out and hung over night it would be OK with the temps lower than 50 but there is no way I would let one hang all day in 60+ degree temps.
    Take a kid hunting. Grow the sport!

I usually de-bone and put it in a cooler. I have a large cooler that I put the grated shelving from a frig in. I placed spacers in the bottom so there is a void at the bottom for the blood and melting ice to drain. I set the cooler on an angle , pull the drain plug and cover the meat with ice. replace the ice as needed.
    "For those that fought for it freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

I'm glad someone started this topic. I've been hunting for 5 or 6 years now and fortunately have never been in a situation where I didn't have time to immediately butcher the deer.

If I get one on saturday, I wont have time to butcher it til sunday morning.

I was thinking maybe pack the rib cage with ice bags??

There is a barn to hang the deer in. Is it more important to get the deer off the ground (hang in the barn), pack it with ice on the barn floor, or neither??

Quote Originally Posted by jordanc57 View Post
    There is a barn to hang the deer in. Is it more important to get the deer off the ground (hang in the barn), pack it with ice on the barn floor, or neither??
    You can leave it on the floor but pack it full of ice.

Another thing to think about in warm temps besides just spoilage... flies. The big blowflies will be on it in no time in temps over 50* during daylight.
    It's not so much if you win or lose - it's how you shoot the flaming arrow while riding a camel.

http://www.unclelees.com/
    http://www.wingsupply.com/

Quote Originally Posted by quackrstackr View Post
    You can leave it on the floor but pack it full of ice.

Another thing to think about in warm temps besides just spoilage... flies. The big blowflies will be on it in no time in temps over 50* during daylight.
    Yeah, the barn has a dirt floor, I guess that cool, damp dirt will be cooler than the ambient temp on saturday, so that will help some.

Ill have to make sure we can keep the coyotes out of the barn

Thread Information