Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: draw length and arrow length?

Default draw length and arrow length?

my draw length on my bow is 27 inches. how long should my arrow be? ive been shooting 30" arrows with some success but im wondering if theres a link between the 2.

It depends on what kind of rest you are using and how it is mounted on your bow. I have a QAD rest on mine and with a 28in draw my arrows are cut to 27in and I probably could have went a little bit shorter. Ideally you want the arrow to extend 1/2" to 1" past your rest with enough clearance for your broadhead. Here is a link to a good explanation of arrow length selection.

http://www.archery-engineering.co.za...rrowlength.htm

my rest is a whisker biscuit, how would that affect it?

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyT View Post
    my rest is a whisker biscuit, how would that affect it?
    it should be the same way

The length of your arrows is based on the spine of the arrow and what is needed to make arrow flight best. Some people shoot short arrow and some shoot long. At the shop we use the OnTarget software to design the arrows. We change the length to find the best spine for the bow. True arrow spine changes with length

Any place that puts and arrow in your bow, reaches up grabs the arrow at a random length and cuts them all that way.. is ........anyway
    It's hard to be nice when others are wrong

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyT View Post
    my draw length on my bow is 27 inches. how long should my arrow be? ive been shooting 30" arrows with some success but im wondering if theres a link between the 2.
    There was a time shorter was better. The idea was to get rid of as much arrow weight as possible, with the gain being speed. Todays arrows allow you to shoot a longer arrow and shoot that longer arrow with the correct spine.

Your arrow should be cut 1 inch in front of the rest in most applications. Your rest, should be mounted as far forward, or a close to the riser as possible. Make full use of a longer arrow. They are much easier to tune, expecially with broadheads. In a hunting application, I like to use the mid point in spine, and stiffer. You want the arrow to recover as quickly as possible with broadheads to eliminate planing issues.

Thread Information