Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to spread lime?

Default How to spread lime?

I live in old coal mine ground and my clover hasn't grown over 1/4 inch total since I planted it at the end of February. My ground is low lime content. Is there any way to spread lime evenly? The only way I know is by hand/shovel etc. which isn't very even. Will it hurt if I put too much? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gobblergetter View Post
    I live in old coal mine ground and my clover hasn't grown over 1/4 inch total since I planted it at the end of February. My ground is low lime content. Is there any way to spread lime evenly? The only way I know is by hand/shovel etc. which isn't very even. Will it hurt if I put too much? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
    Lots of landowners down here use ATV with spreaders that throw out even amounts of lime or seed. You might consider planting Alsike clover or Korean Lespedeza, as these take slightly acid soils better.

i have heard of people using leaf blowers. get a load on your truck and have a buddy hold the blower and ride around.
    we done the shovel thing before to, alot of work there

you can usually rent a spreader buggy from the local coop
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by chasinhornsnfans View Post
    i have heard of people using leaf blowers. get a load on your truck and have a buddy hold the blower and ride around.
    we done the shovel thing before to, alot of work there
    Now thats an interesting idea. That may work. I have a walk behind fertilizer-spreader I thought may work if I can control the amount coming out. I don't have a clue how much to put on. Can you over lime? Should I see a thin layer of lime on the ground when I'm done or is that too thick? I really don't have a clue how much to put on.

My recommendation is to contact your local co op and take a soil sample. In order to accurately determine the amount of lime you need to know the PH level of the soil. They will tell you exactly how much lime you need along with what to fertilize. Also depends on the type of lime. I just had to lime my plots at 3000lbs per acre with ag lime and that really wasn't enough.

This year's clover seed won't be showing a ton of growth yet.

Two tons per acre of ag lime is typical. Depending on the amount needed (12+ ton) and the slope, hire a truck to deliver and spread it. If your field isn't that big or is on steep ground, you can get it done with an ATV spreader.

However, ag lime takes a while to activate the soil. It should have been turned into the soil 6 months before planting. Lime needs good soil contact to be effective. Spreading it on top only neutralizes the surface. Clover roots aren't on the surface.

You still need the lime but won't see the full benefit until at least a year later.
    Work hard, play harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Labrador View Post
    This year's clover seed won't be showing a ton of growth yet.

Two tons per acre of ag lime is typical. Depending on the amount needed (12+ ton) and the slope, hire a truck to deliver and spread it. If your field isn't that big or is on steep ground, you can get it done with an ATV spreader.

However, ag lime takes a while to activate the soil. It should have been turned into the soil 6 months before planting. Lime needs good soil contact to be effective. Spreading it on top only neutralizes the surface. Clover roots aren't on the surface.

You still need the lime but won't see the full benefit until at least a year later.
    Thanks for the info. Not really the news I was hoping for but thanks. My clover is literally just out of the ground 1/8 to 1/4 inch. You have to bend over and look closely to see it. Is this normal for this time of year. When I bought the house, the yard was nothing but knee high clover so I know it will grow there. Am I rushing my expectations?

You can use pelletized lime which will be good for this year and you can spread it like fertilizer.

if its not a huge plot just use pelletized lime and hand spread or atv spread i do about 6 acres with atv spreader i would suggest 80# per acre on coal mine ground 40# if sage isn't present.if you want growth you need nitrogen.amonia nitraite works great.crushed lime from quarry takes 6 mo to activate so this is done in the fall.

Thread Information