Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know KY's knife laws?

Default Does anyone know KY's knife laws?

I bought an OTF (switchblade) knife yesterday. Admittedly I don't know much about these knives or the state laws concerning them. After surfing the net a bit, it seems these knives are pretty much illegal in most of the country (including TX) for everyone except LEO and military persons. I also read that I cannot send it back to the manufacturer for warranty work without a letter confirming my LEO/Military status?

I'd hate to think that I can buy/ own one of these knives in KY, but not be able to get if fixed should it break because of the laws. I think if I can own it here, the manufacturer should take that into consideration should I ever need warranty work. I guess there is also the possibility that I was mistakenly sold this knife, but I can't find any info on it.
    What is written above is an OPINION. It may contain a mix of truth, fiction, BS, and sarcasm.

I think you need a CCDW license to be legal to carry a switchblade.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Strutter View Post
    I think you need a CCDW license to be legal to carry a switchblade.

Rob
    I got that covered. I bought the knife on a whim without researching it first. I was kinda wondering if I was going to have to fill out paperwork, similar to when you buy a gun, but I guess not.
    What is written above is an OPINION. It may contain a mix of truth, fiction, BS, and sarcasm.

I researched this back 15 or so years ago when I bought one in Germany and snuck it back in my luggage.

If you want to carry it in your pocket, you'll need a CCW IF the blade is over 4" long. Otherwise, the Commonwealth does not consider it a deadly weapon.
    "Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"

3.95 inches. Now if I can just figure out if federal laws will allow the company to honor the lifetime warranty.

I use to carry one all the time ART..You got your permit so everything is cool..They are a lot handier than folks believe they would be

Here's the particular statute that defines deadly weapons in Kentucky -

KRS 500.080(4)

(4) "Deadly weapon" means any of the following:
    (a) A weapon of mass destruction;
    (b) Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or other serious physical injury, may be discharged;
    (c) Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife;
    (d) Billy, nightstick, or club;
    (e) Blackjack or slapjack;
    (f) Nunchaku karate sticks;
    (g) Shuriken or death star; or
    (h) Artificial knuckles made from metal, plastic, or other similar hard material;

Since an auto doesn't meet the definition of "ordinary" or "hunting" knife, it's classified as a deadly weapon. As such, you need a CCDW permit to carry one. Since you stated you already have a permit, you're good to go.

Be careful carrying it across the river...I'm not sure of Indiana's knife laws. That trip to Bass Pro could end badly..
    Quote Originally Posted by 8&sand View Post
    ...what a rush it would be to legally harvest a human! Like my grandpa always said. If you shoot them outside, drag em in before the cops show up. lol

Quote Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
    Since an auto doesn't meet the definition of "ordinary" or "hunting" knife, it's classified as a deadly weapon. As such, you need a CCDW permit to carry one. Since you stated you already have a permit, you're good to go.
    Being as how Art is from Lexingstan, it's kind of a moot point, but wouldn't the term "ordinary" be up to a judge's discretion?
    "Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"

Quote Originally Posted by westkybanded View Post
    Being as how Art is from Lexingstan, it's kind of a moot point, but wouldn't the term "ordinary" be up to a judge's discretion?
    id say if you can gut a deer with it its a hunting knife.the law is really vauge.if you have a good lawer and alot of money you could get buy with it.
    It's to late to work within the system but it's to early to just shoot the Bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by westkybanded View Post
    Well, since the judge wouldn't be the one arresting him, and I'm sure there's some relevant case law in Kentucky concerning auto openers....and no, I'm not gonna look it up. But, since I've seen folks be arrested on it, you can simply take my word for it; or not.

Oh, and last I checked, I-64 was easily reached from the Winchester road area of Lexington. You can travel west on it for about an hour, then turn north onto I-65, and go right across the bridge to Indiana. I'm sure more than one person has made a weekend trip to Bass Pro from Lexington.

Of course, if Art lived on the other side of town, he could go on I-64 one of a couple of different ways. I-75 will connect to it, or he can drive down US 60, thru Versailles, and pick it up in Frankfort. See, I grew up in Lexington, and learned how to drive down there. I've made the trip to Louisville and back more times than I can count. It's fairly easy to find your way up here, and I'd think you'd realize that, living in Frankfort. I was just trying to help the guy out, by reminding him that Bass Pro is in a different state, with different laws.

As far as your comment concerning a judge...yeah, the judge will have the final say. But, that won't keep your rear end out of jail for the evening. I can guarantee that if you wanted to argue the fine points of case law on the side of the road, you're going to jail. LIke the saying goes, "You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride."

Finally, I don't understand what your problem is with me. You seem to follow me around various threads, and post snide, retarded comments. It's fine if you disagree with me, but I'm pretty sure I know the laws of this fine Commonwealth. I haven't had a case dismissed on any technical points of the case as of yet. While I'm merely a local corrections officer, I did make it a point to understand exactly what laws I'm enforcing, be it on or off duty. If you'd like to debate the issues a bit more, feel free to meet me for lunch one day. We can have a nice talk about things like civilized humans, and quit having a pissing contest on this forum.

I simply posted the law concerning deadly weapons in Kentucky, and stated that an auto-opener is considered a deadly weapon. If you have case law showing otherwise, please post a cite for it. Otherwise, quit cluttering up the thread, simply because you dislike me, and by extension, what I say. Have a wonderful day....and I'll be in Frankfort on Wednesday, if you want to meet for lunch then. There's a nice Mexican joint on 60, right next to a gym where all the cops hang out at...my buddy introduced me to it last time I was down there. Good food, reasonably priced.
    Quote Originally Posted by 8&sand View Post
    ...what a rush it would be to legally harvest a human! Like my grandpa always said. If you shoot them outside, drag em in before the cops show up. lol

Thread Information