Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hay for Deer supplemental feeding??

Question Hay for Deer supplemental feeding??

Anybody ever try high nutrition hay(alfalfa/clover) for the deer at their feeders , late winter and spring??? Did they consume it well ?? Switch over from corn to hay, to feed deer instead of raccoons??

I put out a bale of alfalfa December 07 with a bag of corn poured on it. They ate the corn and left the hay to rot.

Yeah, tried a bale of alfalfa to save some money on corn a couple years back, they would smell it and thats about it, but this was in october, they may be less picky now, but i kinda doubt it.

Thumbs up

Gentlemen,
    I've never tried it myself and was curious.
    Appreciate your experience response.
    Now I'll not waste a bale.

I had the same experience as the guys above. I went so far as to try high protein alfalfa pellets. No dice.

Someone recommended mixing it in with corn until they got used to the alfalfa, and once they got acclimated to the pellets, you could stop using the corn. The deer picked around the alfalfa pellets and never got "used" to it. They'd just eat the corn and leave the pellets to rot and turn to mush.

Slickhead Slayer said that he had success mixing corn with Purina Deer Chow works, but I've never tried that combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfork man View Post
    Take know prisoners!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddwhitetails View Post
    your a moron
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post
    I'll say it. I make more money than you dream of.
    Quote Originally Posted by hollandhunter View Post
    Your a very special person. With special needs and views. I can except that.

went to Texas in September they had a bale of alfalfa at every feeder watched deer eat it up but they dont have very many food choices I would take alfalfa over cactus too.

Never fed it to deer, But A deer is a lot like a goat in many ways. My goats wouldnt eat it unless they were absoulutely out of choices. I think it probably has something to do with palatability. They will graze on it while its growing and young and fresh but not in bales. They just like green browse. I know that in hard climates with little choice they will eat it.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Put out two bales of alfalfa about a month ago. Deer has not touch the hay

The only time I have seen baled alfalfa actually used by deer is when we had that 20 inch snow several years ago......... They would rather browse on stem and tree bark it seems than to eat hay.......

After I made that observation, I started side dressing briar thickets and honeysuckle patches to improve that food source..............This summer when you start seeing 10-10-10 go on sale pick up 4 or 5 bags and try it........

Deer will only be interested in eating things like woody food materials and acorns. The bacteria, present in their stomach, will not process or digest any type of hay unless it is woody in makeup. Corn and other grains plus acorns are normally the diets of Deer in Winter. Deer, that were fed hay, have been found dead with full bellies. Now when Spring comes the bacteria will be such that they will beable to digest leafy materials, like hay.

Thread Information