Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do or will deer eat oranges?

Question Do or will deer eat oranges?

I honestly don't know and we have alot of left over fruit that we bought from the local FFA and i thought about putting them out for the deer to eat or any other critter. This is a serious question so only serious replys please.

mike
    To Err is human, to blame someone else is more human.

I dont think they would eat the peels but I could be wrong. I think they would freeze rock hard also. Give them a try...couldnt hurt anything.
    "I hate rude behavior in a man. I wont tolerate it."

Quote Originally Posted by gobbl4me View Post
    I honestly don't know and we have alot of left over fruit that we bought from the local FFA and i thought about putting them out for the deer to eat or any other critter. This is a serious question so only serious replys please.

mike

Only the Florida or California sub-species deer will eat citrus.

Sorry... just had to do it.

I honestly dont know... but I've seen deer eat just about anything. From turnips to pine cones dipped in peanut butter. I use to pick up apples that fallen and put out feed sacks full of them and the deer would have them gone in no time. I always put deer & goats in about the same catagory concerning appetite.

I'd say just try it if you need to get rid of them anyway. If the deer wont ...some other critter will.

Let us know the results.

Funny JD.

Phase one of operation ORANGE YOU GLAD IT'S NOT an APPLE is complete. I put out around a bushel of oranges, tangerines, grapefruit and tangelos and no i did not put out any sugar for the grapefruit.

I already missed my chance today as the 6 does that feed behind my house have already came thru. I might see them in the morning.

mike
    To Err is human, to blame someone else is more human.

Send them to me i love oranges im eating one now
    When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I had any firearms with me. I said, 'Well, what do you need?'

Interesting question....Here in Florida we have a lot of hunting in and around orange groves....Yes, the deer would eat fallen oranges. But they are used to oranges. Last weekend here in Florida I was in my stand and ate half an apple....and threw the other half into the trail I was hunting on. Three does came by, sniffed the apple and shied right away from it. They had never seen or smelled an apple before. But, they might get used to it over time.
    Don't think deer will quickly be attracted to something that is foreign to them.
    Just a guess.....but something will eat those oranges....
    Gatorgrowl

Quote Originally Posted by gatorgrowl View Post
    Last weekend here in Florida I was in my stand and ate half an apple....and threw the other half into the trail I was hunting on. Three does came by, sniffed the apple and shied right away from it. They had never seen or smelled an apple before. But, they might get used to it over time.
    That could have been your scent left on it as well.

My answer is no -- some years ago I would get thrown out fruit at our local grocery -- the deer would not eat oranges or grapefruit, they just dried up or rotted -- all the other vegies they tore up and oddly enough even bananas -- I guess to much citrus acid for them -- this was put out at Metcalfe county but I would guess you would have the same results elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by notimlmit View Post
    My answer is no -- some years ago I would get thrown out fruit at our local grocery -- the deer would not eat oranges or grapefruit, they just dried up or rotted -- all the other vegies they tore up and oddly enough even bananas -- I guess to much citrus acid for them -- this was put out at Metcalfe county but I would guess you would have the same results elsewhere

I always thought that deer steered away from anything that had a really high acidic PH. That would include most citrus. I think it is also the reason why they have never touched my tomatoe plants, but thats just a guees.
    "A clean miss, or a clean kill. That is my prayer. I'll let God decide who the victims are."

Did you find out whether deer liked oranges yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfork man View Post
    Take know prisoners!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddwhitetails View Post
    your a moron

Thread Information