Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: Advice for Crappie on Lake Barkley

Default Advice for Crappie on Lake Barkley

The last two spring breaks our family has gone to Lake Barkley State Park for a few days. I've rented a small boat at the Marina and tried to get my boys into some Crappie. I realize the difficulty without depth finder and trolling motor, but thought I should be able to move around a bit look for some downed trees and at least pick up a few slabs. We fished up the creek from the marina. Both years have been a bust. Thinking maybe we need to go out toward the lake or try something new.

We're going back this Sunday. Any suggestions. Type of bait? Depth to fish? How to locate a spot? Any and all advice appreciated.

go to this ky and barkley lake forum. they've always been real helpful to mehttp://www.weblanding.com/discus/board.html

What Marina are you renting a boat from?

Don't waste your time at Barkley. I have crappie fished it several times and never done any good. That whole lake sucks. The only time its worth going on is when its summer and the girls are wearing bikinis.

I'm renting a boat from the marina at the state park by the lodge.

Bowcrazy, The issue of KY Game & Fish I just got a day or two ago has a really good in depth article about Crappie at Barkley, even mentions a few spots to try. Check it out!

"It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent"

Fred Bear

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by charlie murphy</i>
    <br />Don't waste your time at Barkley. I have crappie fished it several times and never done any good. That whole lake sucks. The only time its worth going on is when its summer and the girls are wearing bikinis.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Are you kidding me? Barkley is loaded with fish and any bikini watcher worth his salt knows that KY lake has far more eye candy than Barkley ever will.

Guess it's too late but we've caught crappie anywhere from 2' deep to 20' deep up there in the last 2 weeks. The cold fronts, wind and TVA jumping the lake up and down is making it rough. Secondary gravel points off creek channels should be turning on here pretty quick.

<b><u>5 Rivers Taxidermy & Outfitters</u></b>
    http://www.5riversdux.com

Straight powder.......

Dale, go to Eddieville Ferry Rd. in Area one. Take it to the end. Fish the old road bed that used to run to the Pen. The crappie will be int eh area on both sides of the old road bed. You can camp there, and put your boat in at the end of the road.

For bait, I prefer minnows to jigs. Either will work but I like the live bait. Buy them by the pound and make sure you have a live one on at all times.

One thing about crappie is they will always be near wood in the spring. It warms up faster. Also, always fish shallow first. Crappies feed by sight and will rise to the bait, but won't go deep to get it. When they are right, about 2' is good. If you can't find them, then try lower till you get bit. If they aren't on the bank, just troll around the old road bed till you find them. Good luck and holler when the filets are done.

Thread Information