Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: inexpensive hunting cabin

Default inexpensive hunting cabin

Anyone know of a cheap, inexpensive way to build a hunting cabin? I like those little buildings that look like cabins that Lowes, and TSC, and other places sell. But they are entirely to much for something that will sit in the woods, or fields and weather with usage of probably once or twice a month. Even buying a kit to make one of these should be way less inexpensive. If anyone has plans of how to make one, please share. I think this would be a great hidaway, for not only hunting, but relaxing and camping.

Ive seen several picture threats on here about cabins and it makes me so jealous.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."

I built one last year. I don't know if you would consider it a cabin or not.
    I call it my huntin palace! It is 8'x8' plenty of room to strech out. Most of what you see was either donated by a good buddy that does constuction work, or stuff just laying around the house from other projects. Mom & Dad got a new back door last year so I cabbaged on the old one. The tin on the roof was also leftovers. You have to work about twice as hard when you build with scrap, a piece here a piece there. I still ended up with about $200 in it, mostly the posts and floor, it's all treated. I just built it pole barn style and sheeted it as best I had to work with, slapped on some camo paint and started hunting.
    Will sell plasma for powder,
    bullets, & primers!!!!!

Default hey

think you could post some pictures? what about your flooring?

ive considered even looking into getting concrete blocks and making a building. or would that be outragously expensive? i dont know how much they cost.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."

Cheapest way I can think of is take and make a frame work between trees with good sized limbs,throw a tarp over the roof,cover the whole thing with cedar,pine,or brush,put you a tarp on the ground and presto

I slept in one like that during the winters of 77'-78' when it was -20 degrees and 2 feet of snow on the ground.A good fire helps!

2X4 24" on center and T1-11 siding for walls and 2X6 and 5/8" plywood for floors is as cheap as I've gone. The roof can be a 2X4 shed-type roof , but I prefer a salt-box. You end up with something where the whole cabin moves when you walk across the floor, but it will stay up. No, I don't have plans, but you can guess a lot and pretty well get where you need to be. You can set it on concrete blocks.

Some things I learned:

Make your dimensions and place your door and window so that a you do a minimum of cutting and use as many whole sheets as possible. The magic number is 4X8. Half multiples also work so a 8X12 cabin is cheaper by a long shot than a 10 X 13.

You may want to heat the place. A good cheap compact stove is the Voglezang boxwood stove I think they are still even in the True Value Hardware catalog, so you local hardware store can order you one. However, you need 36" clearance all the way around. That's a pretty big chunk of room. That and a bed and a chair is IT, unless you spring for a bigger space.

Never ever ever leave anything in it. Everything of value must be removed every time you leave. Figure that eventually you will be vandalized. However, if they don't find anything, they won't be back. If they find so much as a girley magazine, they'll keep coming back generation after generation. Post a notice that you absolutely don't have anything of value in the place. Besides putting a good lock on the door, put a good cover over the window and lock it from the inside. I have had one break-in, and all they got was a few cans of Enchilada sauce and a pocket knife. They also got caught.
    Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries --Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Go to your local vocational school & see if they will build something small . If can be worked should only cost you for the material .
    I have had a cabin since 1985 and have not locked it since 2000 .
    When people break in there is more $$ damage to the building than the cost of items taken.

What about a cargo container (not sure how much they cost) or an older small travel trailer that can be left on your property and maybe add a small deck?

Quote Originally Posted by DEERMD View Post
    think you could post some pictures? what about your flooring?

ive considered even looking into getting concrete blocks and making a building. or would that be outragously expensive? i dont know how much they cost.

Sorry I don't have any under construction pic's handy!
    One thing I did mean to tell you the other night was my original
    plan was to use rough cut lumber for sheeting, then strip the cracks. My dad got a whole trailer load cut to build a goat shed from the amish for a fraction of what it would cost elsewhere. Then my buddy came up with the t111 scraps, so free was better that cheap! As far as the floor go's, all I did was set em on 16" centers with treated 2x6's. I put them on 16" ceters to make it alittle stronger. I fastened these to the 2x8 treated band boards. Then covered the entire top of my floor joists with liquidnails before my plywood sheeting was screwed down. I took the extra time to do all this so it would not ((squeek)), and it does not. The rest was kinda play it by ear, I set the next two bandboard hights according to how my windows fit. I made sure that they were not at an awkward hight when sitting in my computer chair that I hunt in. I wanted to be comfortable enough that I could stay all day, and never leave. I have hunted out of it several times last season, and never got busted, not once!
    Will sell plasma for powder,
    bullets, & primers!!!!!

If your not particular and don't intend to move the building you can do a pole type building with metal siding and roof fairly reasonable.No bigger than you want four 4"x6" or 6"x6" ground resistant pressure treated posts,2"x6" for floor joists with 3/4" OSB (5/8" is junk I can jump through it),2"x4" nailed horizontally 2' on center around your posts to attach siding to,2"x8" beams for your rafters to reat on and you can get away with 4' on center rafters as long as you lay 2"x4" as pearlins 2' on center.
    I built a 30'x30' out building for about $1000 with rafters 2' on center,but a dirt floor.

Default thanks guys

your alls insight is much appreciated. does anyone know a price on concrete blocks?

Thread Information