Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best taxidermy School

Default Best taxidermy School

Guys ive made up my mind on what i want to do for a career,i want to be a taxidermist.I know theres a couple guys on here that have some experience with taxidermy and i was wanting to know what are the better schools to go to to learn.Ive been looking but theres so many i dont really know which to narrow it down to.Thanks

"Im a natural born tactical killer, I eat Bambi for lunch and Thumper for dinner."

I went to Joe Meder's workshop in Iowa. Joe only takes 3 students a time and the instruction you get from him is second to none. His training is for whitetails only because he is in the top 2 or 3 whitetail men in the country. Many of the schools try to teach you how to mount all animals in a short period of time, but I felt it was better for me to single out the best instructor available for gameheads and learn from them. I have intentions to do the same for lifesize mammals, fish, and turkeys in the future. I just don't see how a person can go wrong learning from the best in their field. Another world champion taxidermist that does training is John Griffith, his shop is near Somerset, Ky. This is just the way I'm going about it, everybody has what works for them. You can find a ton of information at taxidermy.net . Hope this helps.

thanks alot...i looked at griffiths site and his looks pretty good

"Im a natural born tactical killer, I eat Bambi for lunch and Thumper for dinner."

I went to PA Institute of Taxidermy in Ebensburg,PA. It's a 8 month course and very expensive. Many of their best instructors have since left. I also attended workshops with Jason Snowberger and Gary Bruch in PA and Stefan Savides in Oregon.All 3 of these are National and World champions in their fields. If I had it to do over I would do as 6x6 said about the individual instruction classes. 8 months away from home and 25k+ is pretty rough for starting out. Also, don't expect to see a positive bottom line for a few years. Most in the know say 5 years to build up your client base and get all your equipment bought. You might want to do it part-time or work for an established artist before setting out on your own. Do yourself a favor and get some business training in the taxidermy field. Most fail because they set their prices to compete with the guy down the road. Learn from the best ,set your prices so you have a chance to succeed, do top-notch work and you can do OK. VERY FEW taxidermists are making more than a decent living at it.
    Last edited by mrdux; 05-21-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Well yea i plan on having a part time job until i can get the money worked up and then im going to give it a shot

Quote Originally Posted by str8 shot View Post
    Well yea i plan on having a part time job until i can get the money worked up and then im going to give it a shot
    I got a DVD last year for Christmas that was for Deer shoulder mounts. Seemed very interesting. The DVD has a web site address. www.taxidermy101.com

mrdux, What you say is very true. I am in NJ and one of my nephews went to the Pa Inst of Taxidermy, also. He did learn very well and has been doing good, but can't depend on his taxidermy, alone, as of yet. You definitely have to learn the business end and do good work, and have pride in your work. It is tough to compete with those who charge less, because they cut corners. Detail is key to having a great looking mount as opposed to a good mount, but of course, the great mount will cost more.

str8 shot, Good luck to you!!
    Am a non-hunting woman who supports ALL forms of legal hunting!

Most bad government has grown out of too much government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

NRA Life member, NJ2AS member, & ANJRPC member

Quote Originally Posted by str8 shot View Post
    Guys ive made up my mind on what i want to do for a career,i want to be a taxidermist.I know theres a couple guys on here that have some experience with taxidermy and i was wanting to know what are the better schools to go to to learn.Ive been looking but theres so many i dont really know which to narrow it down to.Thanks
    I would highly recommend going to taxidermy school, but I just wanted to say that you shouldn't be intimidated by not having experience. I have had no formal training or schooling I should say. I watched a couple videos and did A TON of studying various books, magazines, and learned a lot from taxidermy.net forums. After about 6 months of studying, I attempted my 1st deer mount and it turned out really well. I still have a lot to learn, but it's not so difficult that you absolutely HAVE to go to school to do it. While you are saving up money, check out the Taxidermy forums, order some videos, and try it. You can buy tanned capes, racks, whatever to practice with.

Most of all good luck! It's one of the most rewarding things you can get into as far I am concerned!

How many hours go into the average deer mount and how much is the profit?
    NRA member #196246209

Start to finish I probably have 6-8 hours in a typical shoulder mount,"I don't get into any hurry with them either", not counting the "shooting the bull" time with the hunter. I normally clear around $150 per deer but that's not factoring in electric, insurance, etc. like someone full time would have to. I'm very much a hobbyist and if it get a few extra bucks in the account, I'm satisfied. My prices aren't the highest in the area but they are about average or slightly above and I do get all the business I can handle comfortably and still manage to hunt a little.
    Last edited by screamin6x6; 05-31-2008 at 06:35 AM.

Thread Information