Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: peabody wma

Default peabody wma

does anybody hunt the peabody wma? has anybody killed any good bucks there? also looking for a hunting partner

I don't deer hunt on Peabody but did see a few really nice bucks on it last fall. One really nice one. In Ohio Co.

I never have hunted it, I used to fish the heck out of it but they closed the area I used most often. Alot of land has been sold and is being remined. I just don't want to mess with it during rifle season period.
    "Screw the animals, they had just as long to evolve and invent rifles but they didn't....we win"

Quote Originally Posted by killinmammals View Post
    I never have hunted it, I used to fish the heck out of it but they closed the area I used most often. Alot of land has been sold and is being remined. I just don't want to mess with it during rifle season period.
    Where most of the hunting took place is still there. Only one that is closed is the Midway track. There is STILL over 2-3,000 + that you can hunt.
    John 3:16

When all else fails read the instructions.....

Quote Originally Posted by schroader View Post
    Where most of the hunting took place is still there. Only one that is closed is the Midway track. There is STILL over 2-3,000 + that you can hunt.
    Cool, I just haven't had time to head that way and check it out, I drove past the main haul road and saw it was closed and got an update map but haven't checked it over yet.
    "Screw the animals, they had just as long to evolve and invent rifles but they didn't....we win"

I have hunted there the past 3 gun seasons and have yet to see a deer. I did see alot of good deer sign.

I have duck/goose hunted there many times but I never deer hunted it. I did hunt on a lease nearby the last year of checkstations before telecheck, and saw some nice deer being checked in from Peabody. Several were real nice.
    Dave62
    "If you ain't huntin', you ain't livin'."
    Proud Member of PETA- People Eating Tasty Animals
    Sometimes it's about the meat!

Quote Originally Posted by schroader View Post
    Actually, there is still around 40,000 acres you can hunt. Midway, most of Alston, and the Ken Lake area have all been lost. Everything north of the parkway in Ohio Co. is in limbo, but some land still remains there. You can get the most accurate maps by going to the F&W website.

There are plenty of deer on the area, and quite a few nice bucks come off of it yearly. If you bowhunt, it's a dream....if you gun hunt, be prepared to share the area.

Much of that 40000 acres is huge open areas that may not be good for hunting. I think the good huntable land would be far less.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by WildmanWilson View Post
    Much of that 40000 acres is huge open areas that may not be good for hunting. I think the good huntable land would be far less.
    It is mostly strip mine ground....it all may not be the best for deer hunting, but that isn't the only species hunted there. Those open areas get heavy pressure for rabbit, quail, and woodcock. The area is much more diverse than you'd think, and it is fairly easy to kill deer there. I hunted there 1 time, during the last weekend of rifle season a couple of years ago, and shot a doe in 45 minutes...you just have to know where to go and how to use the open areas to your advantage. The 5 largest deer I've seen on the hoof on Peabody have been in the open strip areas, 3 of them were together 2 Decembers ago, standing in the middle of the sinclair tract in open sericea, and all were close to 140 or better. The 4th was about 145-150 and on the defunct Alston tract, and the last one was this past season...another ~150 on Hopewell. They love to bed in those open areas.

Thread Information