Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: Coon Hides

Default Coon Hides

My friend was telling me coon hides went up to 26 dallors. Anyone else hear this and no where to turn them and how they want the hides? Thanks
    I LIVE TO HUNT AND HUNT TO LIVE !!!!!!!!

hmmmm,,and i just been leaving mine in the woods

Default hides

last i heard best place to sell them was in southern Indiana. They had the best prices last i heard at the first of December, they were only 4 bucks a piece then. If they have went up that much i will sure start skinning em. lol

Quote Originally Posted by huntmadd View Post
    My friend was telling me coon hides went up to 26 dallors. Anyone else hear this and no where to turn them and how they want the hides? Thanks
    Coon prices will be excellent this year, but I doubt $26. Anyway, a dog caught would bring about half what it is worth.

madd- coon hides depend on where the coon is from. I know that sounds odd, but let me try to explain what I learned from researching this a month or two ago.

Down here in good ole KY, it doesn't get quite so cold as it does in say Michigan or South Dakota. Because of that, the guard hair on the coons we have here is shorter, more bristled hair than one up north who's guard hair will grow much longer and softer to keep himself warm. Also the undercoat of our coons come in a gray or black color, whereas their northern cousins come in a variety of colors.

A large (35 pound) carcas coon (not even skinned) from Michigan will bring about $35. Here in KY, the tanned hide of a 35 pound coon in perfect condition brings about $8. From that $8 if you have a bullett hole in the pelt it decreases in value, depending on how badly the hide is torn. If a dog has had the coon in his mouth here, the hide is worthless.

It's pretty much the same with all animals as it is with coons. Like I said befor I researched this on the internet a month or two ago. A bobcat from far north can bring in excess of $500. Here, we can get about $50. Coyotes up north bring between $50 and $100. Here, they bring nothing. It's all about the quality of the fur, and of course wherever it's coldest, the fur will be thicker, longer and more brilliant.

Hope that explains it. We were considering trying to tan and sell them until we found out what they're worth. We've just continued to leave them in the woods.

The coon hides that sold at the first international fur sale averaged 28 dollars per. Those are trapped coons with no hole and clean. The rumor is that local coons are going to bring very well this year. Coyotes are doing well also.

Thread Information