Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peabody Coal Comp Ground

Default Peabody Coal Comp Ground

Is Peabody ground still open for hunting and fishing in Kentucky? I live in Southern Indiana and Peabody has closed all of its active and non active property for hunting and fishing for the last five years or so. I read alot on KY forums and notice alot of guys mention Peabody ground. It just makes me sick that I can't hunt my old coal mine ground anymore. It was some of the best habitat around.

Most of it is but not sure how much. Some of the locals here should be able to provide more info on which tracts are still open
    Never Use Post Count as A Knowledge Gauge

rabbitt or quail hunting

Default Peabody

if your talking about Peabody in ohio and mulenburg co. in ky its open year around. Some has been sold off but still have about 40 or 50 thousand acres.

Don't forget the needed permit
    Some people should thank their lucky stars that everything I wish for does not come true

I am talking about being open in general for hunting or fishing. I just don't see why Peabody has a different policy about hunting in Indiana than they do in Kentucky. I would glady pay for a permit to hunt. I do know that as soon as Peabody merged with Black Beuty coal company that it was the end of all recreational activities on Peabody ground. I don't neccesarly want to come to KY and hunt Peabody ground but was just wondering if it was still open for huntng.

Didn't they turn several 1000 acres of Peabody coal property into F&W area's in Indiana ? Seems like I can remember three that were at one time.
    Some people should thank their lucky stars that everything I wish for does not come true

Quote Originally Posted by Duster View Post
    Didn't they turn several 1000 acres of Peabody coal property into F&W area's in Indiana ? Seems like I can remember three that were at one time.
    They turned about 3700 acres up the road from me into FW area but they still have vast amounts of ground locke dup in my area. I know the state has bought some ground off of Peabody down around Evansville but I have never been there.

Yes, Peabody WMA is still open for hunting. Don't get confused with what is happening in IN vs here though. Around 30,000 acres of Peabody WMA in KY is owned by the department of F&W, and they lease the other acres from Peabody Coal and various subsidiaries. The owned property has nothing to do with Peabody Coal other than being named "Peabody" WMA...so it will always be open for public hunting/fishing. The leased acres are quickly being sold off or re-opened for active mining by the coal companies.

Yeah, ALOT of land has been sold...still a ton left though. Also quite a few mines have reopened and are no longer available for public access. Just get an updated map, they show what is open and not, then have at it!
    "Screw the animals, they had just as long to evolve and invent rifles but they didn't....we win"

Thread Information