Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New trophy management for squirrels!!!!!!!

Default New trophy management for squirrels!!!!!!!

When I was a young boy I spent many an autumn mornings stalking the eastern grey squirrel. While other boys my age were doing " other " things, I could be found staking out a big hickory tree. Many a fond memories were made squirrel hunting. Now that I've become an "advanced" hunter, it seems I rarely hunt for them anymore. Neither do I hear many talk of them in the "sacred" hunting circles. I've pondered on this and believe that the lack of interest in squirrel hunting is due to a lack of a point system for squirrels. Before you laugh me off, think about it. Many of todays hunters only hunt for a "trophy". If a buck doesn't have a massive rack then its considered a juvenile and the hunter that harvested it is shamed. Same with turkeys. What's the first thing your buddy ask when you tell him/her you've killed a turkey? "How big wuz its beard?" The hunt for a trophy has overtaken todays hunters.
    Thus, enter the trophy squirrel program. Under this management program, squirrels would be strictly managed to produce a better quality squirrel. Harvest limits and zone restrictions would apply to better suit a particular land. Hunters would have to buy a squirrel permit to finance the program. A small price to pay for such an opportunity. The qualifications of a trophy squirrel would differ from other game species though. Since a squirrel has neither antlers or a beard, another part of its anatomy would have to be used. As only males of a species are considered trophys, it would have to be something the female squirrel doesn't have. So I suggest that a boar squirrels nuts be used to gauage its trophy status. In order to qualify as a trophy, a boar squirrels nuts would have to be as big as ......oh, say a small peach. A boar squirrel with nuts smaller than this would be considered a juvenile and should not be harvested.A new rodent point system would be developed to score a squirrels nuts. A field judging guide could be printed for those not familiar with squirrel anatomy. Of course hunters would have to sacrifice some the first few seasons, but since the females of a species are considered worthless in management programs, they could take an unlimited number of sow squirrels. Hunters could use the tel-e-check system to call their squirrels in.
    I think the new rodent scoring club would really boost squirrel hunting in Ky. Imagine a group of guys gathered around the back of a pick-up truck looking at..not a deer...not a turkey... but a big 'ole mature boar squirrel with a MONSTER SET OF NUTS!!!!

"Thats a goodin' alright......yep, look what mass...yea, on both sides too!!!!!!....you wander how he got through the trees packing them around.[:D]

giggles and smiles

Leave some for the kids!

I think the new rodent scoring club would really boost squirrel hunting in Ky. Imagine a group of guys gathered around the back of a pick-up truck looking at..not a deer...not a turkey... but a big 'ole mature boar squirrel with a MONSTER SET OF NUTS!!!!

"Thats a goodin' alright......yep, look what mass...yea, on both sides too!!!!!!....you wander how he got through the trees packing them around

SWEET SWEET SWEET!!!!!!!!

http://www.wrightsweaponsystems.com

LMAO!
    How would you establish the scoring system? Length x girth?
    I can hear it now, “boys, I kilt a good’un, he was a pack’un a rather large satchel, black, leather looking thing it was”!

“A good set of walnuts he had”.

“Found a couple of double scrapes where he dragged them up a shag-bark”.[:D][:D]
    [:D]

Just imagine the pictures we could post with them laying spread eagle on our tailgates[:D] maybe we could lay a quarter beside them for scale[:D][:D] Man that's funny stuff, good post[^]

CAIN'T HAVE NOTHIN

I don't know if I'd be too interested. Sounds like something the wife would enjoy too much! Well maybe she wouldn't now that I think about it. She already has mine hang'in on the wall. I'd say thats trophy enough for her. Who knows?[8)][:D][:D]

I know one thing, you'll never see a picture of me in some magazine, mile-wide grin, holding up a pair of treerat jewels. I hope the rest of you can say that as well.

So what we gonna call this record book? Boone & Crockett, Pope & Young already taken. How about the Pork & Beans Club. Maybe the Squirrel Scrotum Society. National Squirrel Genitalia Federation. OK I'll quit now.

This could be a boon for taxidermists.

OK I lied, not ready to let this one go.

I am pleased to announce the formation of a new organization dedicated to preserving & promoting the sport of trophy squirrel hunting - NutMasters.

Just think Captain, you could be the Jackie Bushman of small game.

I can't wait for Monster Nuts volume 1

CAIN'T HAVE NOTHIN

"The Truth" about the size of my trophy squirrel's nuts would make a fine tape. Other company's wanting to make videos would be companies like Realnuts Outdooors, Mossy Nut, and of course local boys like Nut and Hale. This could be big.

BUT - would this really work unless we divided the state into at least 10 squirrel zones and encouraged everyone to shoot all the females in "squirrel zones" 1 - 4. Maybe we could even have the squirrels checked in by telephone, on the "honor system" of course. That works great with the deer.[;)].

Thread Information