Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: Best Fox Trapper of all time???

Default Best Fox Trapper of all time???

Pennsylvania’s Phil Brown might be the best fox trapper of all time. From November through January, no matter how cold, wet, muddy or miserable it is, Brown is out there laying down the steel.
    “Come fall some guys live for deer hunting,” says Brown. “I trap.”
    Last season Brown logged a daily average of 190 miles in his Toyota pickup. He walked untold miles to make 9,247 sets and caught 1,202 red foxes—888 of which he dried and stretched himself.
    On his best day on the line, Brown caught 30 foxes in 90 sets. (He owns more than 5,000 traps, mostly Victor #2s and Montgomery #1s.)
    Almost all his foxes are caught in a simple dirt-hole set; he never uses bait, only Carmen-brand lures.
    Last year marked the third time Brown, 47, put up more than 1,000 red foxes in a season—boosting his lifetime total to roughly 13,000. With prime red fox pelts fetching $15 to $21, Brown could gross as much as $25,000 from last season’s haul.—story written by Bob Butz
    I have a question: Wonder how long it took Phil to cover his truck, barn and yard with all those foxes, amazing?
    someone deleted my signature...

Ive talked t Phil on several occasions on trapperman. Hes the real deal. He also works FULL time in the concrete buisness. The mans got stones

I don't even trap but, must admit...... that's a man dedicated to his passion.

He is the man. However, coyotes are moving into alot of places and making it rough on the fox populations. He knows what he is doing. I can't imagine 5000 traps, let alone, setting that many and running them. It usually takes a day to set most of my traps, then I will add to the line as I check them. I love it, but trapping is tough work, it's not for everyone. Good job on the foxes, my hat is off. Never met him, but I have read about him and seen the photos before. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by KYBOY View Post
    Ive talked t Phil on several occasions on trapperman. Hes the real deal. He also works FULL time in the concrete buisness. The mans got stones

CONCRETE BUSINESS? I'm pretty sure he's not in the construction part ,every concrete worker i know couldn't walk 5 miles after work.That has to be the worst job on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeytalker View Post
    CONCRETE BUSINESS? I'm pretty sure he's not in the construction part ,every concrete worker i know couldn't walk 5 miles after work.That has to be the worst job on the planet.
    I agree, that is some tough work. Big rubber boots, hard on your knees, and hard on your back. If he can run that many traps and take care of that much fur, while holding down any kind of full time employment. He is the man.

Wow That's a lot!
    Last edited by jblain; 10-30-2007 at 08:43 AM.

I wonder how big of an area he traps? Trapping 1000 foxes has to put some sort of dent in the population.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Rack View Post
    No child left behind has been a ddismal failure.

If he is logging 190 miles a day on his truck and working full time then he isn't sleeping.
    Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
    Ted Nugent

Thread Information