Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boiler Explosion in Paris, Tenn.

Default Boiler Explosion in Paris, Tenn.

From WPSD TV-6.....

Cleanup is still underway after an explosion at the Dana Corporation plant on Plumley Drive in Paris, TN.
    A pressurized boiler exploded just before 2 p.m. taking out a large chunk of one building.
    There is one serious injury of an employee in the boiler room at the time of the explosion. The employee suffered an injury to the chest area and was airlifted to Vanderbilt Hospital.
    The explosion blew out 30 feet of the building.
    Harris Fire Chief Don Cox tells NewsChannel 6 that several buildings were evacuated. No homes in the area were affected by this blast.
    Some cars parked in the lot in front of the building weren't so lucky. A raised walkway just across from the building was badly damaged also. Chief Cox tells us traffic wasn't affected and is up and running normally.
    As a result of the explosion, the extrusion employees at the Dana Corporation plant do not need to report to work tonight. The rest of the plant is said to be resuming business as usual. NewsChannel 6 has a crew on the scene and we'll continue to bring you the latest information as it comes available.
    Copyright 2007 WPSD-TV, LLC

Damage to a truck from the explosion.

Scattered debrise from the explosion.

Another view of damage in the parking lot.

I always hate hearing something like this... especially when someone is injured. On campus settings like MSU ....in most cases we have multiple boilers in every building from domestic hot water, heating and supplying steam to labs and other processes. We even have a powerplant operation that supplies 100lbs of steam to half the campus. We have about a mile of underground steam piping in tunnel systems.

Just speculating but either a solenoid operated gas valve failed to close on mis-fire and filled the boiler up with gas...then tried to re-light or it was a steam explosion when relief valves , low water cut off or high limit switches failed. Its hard to believe all three safety devices failed to cause a steam explosion.

I'll also say all three devices are required in Kentucky on every boiler for the steam side and redundant solenoid gas valves are reccommended in most applications. I cant say thats the same requirement for Tennessee. Their plumbing & mechanical codes alway seemed pretty lax in comparison to Kentuckys. I'd say that they will be investigating this from several agencies to see what happened.

I had a ringside seat for it.

It sounded and felt like some serious tnt detonating. I have a lot more pics but I don't know if they've been cleared for publication or not.

There was a chunk of solid concrete roughly half the size of a car hood that was blown into the middle of the street nearly 100 yards away (the street the police car is sitting on in the second pic). Debris dented vehicles and blew out windows in the parking lot for a long way on the other side of that street.

That dome in the third pic is the boiler head that came flying through that hole. The rest of the thing went rocketing through the plant in the opposite direction for over 75 yards ripping up equipment and turning over forklifts in the process.

There are several other vehicles besides that pickup pictured that sustained the same kind of damage.

It's a miracle that only one person was seriously hurt. No word yet on what the cause may have been.
    It's not so much if you win or lose - it's how you shoot the flaming arrow while riding a camel.

http://www.unclelees.com/
    http://www.wingsupply.com/

Here in ky the state boiler inspector has more authority than the police. This is the reason why. They really use to get under my skin with there inspections but over the years I have grown to respect there judgement....
    "I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature's ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow." ---Fred Bear

Any word on the cause?
    "Without property rights, no other rights are possible. Since man has to sustain his life by his own effort, the man who has no right to the product of his effort has no means to sustain his life. The man who produces while others dispose of his product, is a slave." - Ayn Rand

I haven't heard yet. I have a meeting in an hour that I may find something out in.
    It's not so much if you win or lose - it's how you shoot the flaming arrow while riding a camel.

The cause is still under investigation. There are a slew of investigators in today and they'e hoping to get that done with clearance to start cleanup and take steps for interim operation.

As it stands, vehicle production at one or more GM plants will be shut completely down by Friday if something doesn't happen pretty quickly.

I did find out that one of the reasons no more people were hurt was that it was break time and nearly everyone was off the floor. The break room is right next door to the boiler room and luckily the rest of the boiler went straight ahead instead of through that wall (although the blast did knock nearly half of that wall down). There was a lady still operating a machine that is no longer there. A plastic trash can came flying by her that kicked in the flight response just before everything where she was standing disappeared.

Those pics only show the external damage. There is more damage inside the plant than outside. I haven't physically been in the building (still cordoned off) but I have pictures from inside. What's left of the boiler is around 200 feet from where it started and there are no skid marks on the floor. That 32k pound boiler was physically airborne for about 200 feet before landing.

Sure am glad that it was break time. I have heard that Dana Corp was not doing well financially...this can't be good for them. I sure hope they are able to recover and move on from this accident.
    "Without property rights, no other rights are possible. Since man has to sustain his life by his own effort, the man who has no right to the product of his effort has no means to sustain his life. The man who produces while others dispose of his product, is a slave." - Ayn Rand

well, if you call Chapter 11 not doing well financially...

This division is a small part of Dana Corp. as a whole. We actually make money..

The hose segment (where this accident occured) is actually in the process of being sold. The new owner is just going to lease the building from Dana.

At least they send us several large checks each month . I don't want to loose their business that's for sure. Hope the plants down in TN start getting more employees...sure could use the extra revenue .

Thread Information