Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Thread: Cleaning Mouth Calls

Default Cleaning Mouth Calls

How does everyone clean their mouth calls? Is mouthwash too harsh on the reeds? What about this product?
    Last edited by ecmbowhunter; 05-27-2007 at 08:01 PM.

Mouthwash works. Just keep them in it till the next time you need it. You can keep them in the fridge to keep it from drying up so fast.

I keep mine in a little round tupperware type container filled with mouthwash. I stick it in the fridge during the offseason.

I read an article by Mark Drury where he was getting sick all the time during turkey season. He finally figured out it was from the bacteria on the mouth calls. I used to get bacterial infections during turkey season also, just chalked it up to allergies, even though I never had allergies. Sure enough I haven't got the bacterial infections the past few seasons, ever since I started keeping my calls in mouthwash during the season. Not to mention they taste better.

I use denture cleanning tabs like Efferdent (Kroger makes a store brand just as good, but cheaper).

Soak them in warm water overnight with a couple of tablets, then dry them off and store in the fridge.

Joe

Don't use Crest Pro-Health. I read somewhere that you should get a mouthwash that was alcohol free, so I bought the Crest. It ruined 3 Primos calls before I figured out what was happening. The latex becomes too loose to work properly.
    Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning 'lousy hunter' (Andy Rooney: American Journalist, Correspondent, Writer and Producer, b.1919)

When our 2nd Amendment Rights are stripped away, they will ask, "Where was the NRA"? The NRA will ask, "Where were you"? - Join Today!!!

You should really use a 1\2 mouthwash, 1\2 water mix to dilute the harshness of mouthwash.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Rack View Post
    No child left behind has been a ddismal failure.

I don't recommend using mouth calls from year to year no matter where you keep them or what solution you keep them in. Mouth calls aren't made to be kept wet for long periods of time. It took me a while to figure this out. I used to keep one mouth call on each side of my mouth all day long during turkey season. I noticed the calls sounded better first thing in the morning. The later in the day it got, the looser the reeds became and the more air it took to blow the calls. Now I keep one call in between my teeth and only slip it in my mouth when I'm actually calling. After years of hunting and trying MANY brands and types of mouth calls I've narrowed my arsonal down to two different calls. I buy two of each right before the spring season....no more sore throats, and no more soaking reeds in water over night to loosen reeds. In case anyone was wondering....The two calls I use are the Cumberland river game calls "RIP", and the Cane Creek "MR. DEATH". These calls may not be for everyone, but for me it's been a truly deadly combination for the last 5 years or so.

I don't like storing mine in mouthwash. I clean it in mouthwash then rinse with water and let it dry out on the counter. I store the mouth calls in a dry plastic container. Before the season opener I clean them again with mouthwash.

Thread Information