Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6" PVC deer feeder

Default 6" PVC deer feeder

I just picked up 2 5ft sections of 6" PVC pipe to make some homemade deer feeders to attract some more attention to my deer cams. Here is my question: I was told to cut a wedge-shaped portion out of the bottom of the pipe that goes on the ground to let the corn flow out. That makes sense, however, how big of a wedge shape do I need to cut? 2"? 3"? 4"? across? I thought about using a 90* elbow instead, but I thought this might let too much out. Have any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by High Rack View Post
    No child left behind has been a ddismal failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Xi Bowhunter View Post
    I just picked up 2 5ft sections of 6" PVC pipe to make some homemade deer feeders to attract some more attention to my deer cams. Here is my question: I was told to cut a wedge-shaped portion out of the bottom of the pipe that goes on the ground to let the corn flow out. That makes sense, however, how big of a wedge shape do I need to cut? 2"? 3"? 4"? across? I thought about using a 90* elbow instead, but I thought this might let too much out. Have any suggestions?
    In my opinion you need to cap both ends. The top side to keep rain from getting in of course. And the bottem side because eventually they will have a hole a foot deep below the feeder. It saves time from having to fill it back up. You can actually just take a piece of wood drill it to the bottem of the feeder cut a two or 3 inch wedge in the pvc pipe and put it on the ground. You can also buy the cap but why buy when you can build
    Take a kid hunting. Grow the sport!

On mine I have a top cap to keep the rain out, and I have a 90 degree elbow on the bottom. It works fine.

If you use the 90 degree elbow on the bottom, You can cover part of it with duct tape to slow down the flow.
    Again, you must have never read the rules ?. . . They give out ''FREE BOOKS'' for dumb people.

Smile

I have my feeder sitting on a small piece of plywood with a steel post in the middle of it. This way you can slip your pvc over it and then have a small disc the same size inside the top to keep it steady. You can guess on how much of a wedge you want to cut out. I go up and cut a notch about the size of a piece of pie. Hope this info helps.

I built this feeder out of six inch sch. 21 PVC. I put a Y on the bottom and plugged the bottom hole with a sch 40 cap, it fit perfectly inside the Y. The cap in the bottom has holes drilled in it to allow any water to run out. On the top I put a six inch cleanout with a screw in plug. I think the two I built cost about $25.00 each.

Edit: After thinking for a moment I realized that mine was built out of 4" sch 21. They will hold about 25# of shelled corn each.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ebfarmer; 02-14-2007 at 08:38 AM.

I have something similar to ebfarmer, but we placed a 5 gallon bucket on top of it so we could hold more corn. We also keep a lid on it to try and help keep the squirels. The design with the bucket on top seems to work the best, it keeps us from have to go back every 2 days and fill it up!
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
    - Vince Lombardi

Or you can just be a lazy slob like me and spend $70.00 delivered on one of these. I haven't set it up yet becuase of the March cut off date for feeding, but it is a monster. The thing is huge. Holds 350 pounds of feed and keeps it dry. If nothing else I figure there are going to be some fat does, turkeys, reds and greys running around my place next fall.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fill-It-Forget-I...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by ebfarmer View Post
    I built this feeder out of six inch sch. 21 PVC. I put a Y on the bottom and plugged the bottom hole with a sch 40 cap, it fit perfectly inside the Y. The cap in the bottom has holes drilled in it to allow any water to run out. On the top I put a six inch cleanout with a screw in plug. I think the two I built cost about $25.00 each.

Edit: After thinking for a moment I realized that mine was built out of 4" sch 21. They will hold about 25# of shelled corn each.

How long does it take the deer to get used to that?

I bought a cap for the top, but controlling the out-flow is what I am concerned about. I have seen pics of the ones my uncle uses, and all he uses is a pie shaped wedge at the bottom and it seems to work just fine. I guess I'll try a 2" wedge and go from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Rack View Post
    No child left behind has been a ddismal failure.

Thread Information