Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - Become A Sponsor - Season Dates - Window Decals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snagging Season

Default Snagging Season

Have any of you guys ever went snagging for rough fish? It is a barrel of fun and a good way to take the "fight" out of you so to speak. A 30# gar can do good for you in February.

I have a load of pics of them but have no way to scan them to the computer.

Where do you snag at? I know alot of guys go around Kentucky dam, that's a little far for me. I'd like to do it more but don't know much about it. Every time I've actually tried it on the KY I kind of felt foolish and started trying to hook them in the mouth again. How deep do you let the rig sink before you start retrieving it? Do you pump the rod or just reel? I did snag a 20 lb paddle fish in the Ky river last spring fishing a tailspinner for white bass, you talk about a fight! Thanks, Ted

I snag in a large feeder creek to the Ohio River. Go to the first deep hole up the creek or at the mouth. I fish directly on the bottom dragging it slowly like a plastic worm.

yeah I have snaaged alot everytime i went fishing i snagged a stump or rock

I used to have to get alot of fight out of my fishing now I more into angling. Snagging, fish of course, not stumps , was a true fire way to scratch that itch. Nothing like hooking a 20-30#gar in the tail.

When do you usually start snagging? I know what you mean by the gar, we had a day last spring while white bass fishing that every other fish we caught was either a gar or buffalo, if you let your jig bounce too far down we'd snag the gar in the anus or gills and the buffalo in the stomach. The biggest buffalo was 33 lbs. Those whites fight hard but nothing like a gar snagged in the butt.

Season starts Feb. 1, I think. All of the creeks here are froze up though.

Is gar all you usually snag in the feeder creeks?Also,what is average catch rate for a feeder creek on a good day?Never tried it but definately would give it a go.
    Proudly serving up reality to the delusional

I went a couple of times to Ky Dam with my uncle, never worked so hard in my life. Those lead sinkers get expensive when you don't know what the heck your doing! I must have went through a hundred of 'em.

Default Snagging season

Snagging season below kentucky is year around. You can snag any time Jan.1 thru May31 And then May 1 thru Dec. 31 from sunset to sunrise only. Me and my dad used to go almost every weekend during the summer months and we have have caught some really nice blues and channel cats. Dad dont care for it much now but I still go with my buddy's at least 8-10 times a year. The largest fish I ever snagged was a 44 !/2 # blue cat and let me tell ya after haulin that dude in I was ready to head to the homestead. The rough part is carrying your catch up the rocks which is a pretty good haul. Almost every time we go we bring home roughly 50# of catfish and give all the spoonbill away to the other people snagging because im not real crazy about the taste of it.

Thread Information